Out of staters getting drawn

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by javman, May 15, 2017.

1. javman

javman Fawn

Nov 6, 2006
    Congrats to all Kentuckians drawn for a chance to chase a Ky elk. By my count from the list, 65 out of state people drawn, just doesn't seem right that there are so many Kentucky folks not getting drawn. I'm sure they're nice folks but just saying.

2. dupont241

dupont241 6 pointer

Jun 1, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    They make thousand of $$ I'm sure from letting out of state folks into the draw. It is all about the $$$$$$.

danf26 likes this.
  3. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    They are capped at 10% of all who are drawn so I don't think it's a big deal. And yes, I'm sure it does generate a good amount of money but I see that as a good thing for KDFWR.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. 257Wmag

257Wmag Spike

Oct 7, 2015
    NC
    I made my $40 "donation" to KY wildlife again this year. One of these days I'll be one of those evil out of staters that takes a tag away from a resident. I realize people don't like getting invaded but most likely one day you'll want to hunt somewhere else, out west maybe and be one as well. We're all not blessed with great hunting opps in our backyard.

5. Yettislayer

Yettislayer Spike

May 17, 2013
    Central KY
    Exactly 257Wmag. I cannot understand why so many people are opposed to out of state hunters getting a chance to hunt elk here. My assumption is pure jealousy and greed, but why? Do you all not also have the opportunity to travel elsewhere to hunt if you so choose? What do you think they think about you there? I for one like the fact that they get the chance to hunt here because I appreciate the opportunity I have to travel and hunt critters that don't live in Kentucky. Would I rather be the one holding an elk permit than them? Yes, of course I would. But I'd also rather be the guy holding the permit over anyone in this state save for my wife or father. But it did not happen for me this year so I'll keep applying and hoping for the chance. If you don't like it, quit "wasting" your money here and go get a guaranteed hunt *gasp* out of state.

upload_2017-5-16_11-18-52.jpeg

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Yea i didnt get drawn again this time. On a positive note my buddy got drawn for the 3rd time in 4 years again. I can understand why they want out of staters to get drawn. It brings more money in of course. But i think there should be some changes made to the selection process. People getting drawn 3 or 4 times when some residents never get drawn is bs. I guess you could say im butt hurt if you want. But i can promise the kdfw i will never ever waste my money on this mess again. Yall have at it. For those of you that were drawn best wishes. For those of you that were not and have never been drawn maybe you should start saving your money to go on a real elk hunt out west instead of giving your money away every year. I use to want to hunt elk but the older i get the less it matters. I will stick to turkeys and deer like i always have. They cant take that away from me. Peace.

mudhole crossing and bondhu like this.
  7. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Bottom line is for those who get drawn or have been drawn love the selection process. Those who havent dont like it. 10 percent to out of staters doesnt bother me near as much as the folks who are drawn multiple times over people that have never been drawn.

bondhu likes this.
  8. Reloader21

Reloader21 Fawn

May 19, 2016
    According to the list:

67 Non residents x $140 annual nonresident hunting license = $9380

23 Non Resident Bull permits x $550 = $12,650
    44 Non Resident Cow Permits x $400 = $17,600

Total Nonresident Revenue = $39,630

633 Resident elk hunters x $30 Resident Annual Hunting License = $18,990

Without counting each one, let's assume 200 residents got bull permits
    200 x $100 Resident Bull Permit = $20,000
    433 x $60 Resident Cow Permit = $25,980

Total Resident Revenue = $64,970

By these numbers, (and it is an educated guess on the resident numbers), 61% +/- of the total revenue is paid by the 67 nonresidents that were drawn.

I am sorry, but this being said, I have NO problem with 67 nonresidents getting permits and paying for 61%+/- of the program.

9. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I am good with non res getting drawn same as everybody else, just funny you would think that the # of residents applied you would see a year where like 1-10 non res. are all that got drawn . But I am with HollandHunter that multiple drawings is B.S. I wish they would add elk drawing with jury selection. They say its random draw also but I told Judge Walton that was B.S. He said how do you figure. I said you send me a letter every 2 years for jury duty since I graduated HS my wife graduated same day she aint never been drawn. Has any body figured out the total what we have in this. I have applied for every elk tag available(Bull ,Cow with a bow or rifle) since #1 drawing.

10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    They've not gotten my money for several years. One guy getting drawn 3 outta 4 years is not being lucky, it's corruption.

11. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    That's the way I look at it. I pitched to the dept for years about the three year waiting period for cows if you get drawn just like for bulls.. at least give the guys who have not been drawn a little chance over those who have..

12. jrfrmn10

jrfrmn10 Fawn

Aug 11, 2011
    Apparently I am not one of the lucky ones. I applied the first six years of the Ky elk lottery with no luck. I gave up and then 2 or 3 years later reapplied again with no luck. I decided to try again for 2017 again with no luck. No more donations from me.

13. jrfrmn10

jrfrmn10 Fawn

Aug 11, 2011
    That is what needs to change. People would feel that it is more fair.

14. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I could careless if they change it or not anymore. I'm done giving them my money. An I know a lot of other people that feel the same. There was 1 person in my county who got drawn and guess what that person was a repeat or so I hear!

15. tnbrownfish

tnbrownfish Fawn

Apr 3, 2017
    East TN
    On the nonresident hunters I have one thing to add as a longtime member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation I helped raise money to get elk in Kentucky and other places. While I am not mad or any thing please remember that. When they had the largest elk release at that time I drove from Bluff City,TN to Hazard,KY to see the release and I took my son who was 9yr old at the time (he is in the desert now with USAF say a pray for our soldiers) . We had VIP area but stood with the others as they released the elk. Boy that was something and my son just stood there with a big smile and said dad is that some of the elk you worked for and I said son we all worked for them and are blessed to see this happen. As we left I looked at my son and said maybe some day your children will be blessed to hunt these wonderful animals and he said really you should dad you worked hard for this but I was looking ahead for the next generation and thankful to just have a small part in it. But GOD blessed me in 2015 I was drawn for the cow bow tag and I spent many days scouting and driving and a lot of walking. But didn't get one I missed 2 and bow froze on last one (never happened to me before) but I did have a great time and meet a lot of wonderful KY people. But with that said I also spent a lot of money traveling back and forth from East TN to KY and the licenses were not cheap but look how much CO,WY,NM and others are.
    They really leave you thinking did I just get robbed or what just happened. Also the men and women that work at the KY Game and Fish are GREAT they WILL BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP YOU THEY DID FOR ME. You just call some game and fish people at some of the states and see how they treat you I have had to ask for their bosses name and tell them I just wanted them to answer the questions I had ask. Kentucky has the nicest game people I have meet and I know there are some that are not nice but the best way to deal with that is get there name and WRITE A HAND WRITEN LETTER TO THE TOP DOG and that will help.
    Any way anyone who got a permit CONGRATULATIONS enjoy every minute and remember you are not just going to kill something but to make MEMORIES!!
    Eph. 3:20 works but make sure that you know for sure you are saved that is really all that will count!
    DT from East TN