Out of Action/Dog Mauled

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by wildirishman64, Jan 14, 2019.

1. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    My bird season is on hold for the next couple weeks. My GSP got attacked by a neighbors Pit bull pretty bad. Damage to his right rear leg was pretty extensive. Watching and waiting on his recovery. I wish Kentucky had more stringent dog laws, still fuming over that pil of sh@# and what he did to my boy. It's a dead dog if the county atty allows it to live, got bit in the elbow trying to save my animal. I will have to listen to you folks talk about your bird hunting until Trigger is ready to rock.

2. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Sorry to hear this...…….good luck and speedy recovery to Trigger.

wildirishman64 likes this.
  3. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    pitbull or as the brothers say PIBULL, hope your hunting partner heals quick and gets back in the field soon.. for the record I have shoot three pits over the years in the woods.

elkaholic and wildirishman64 like this.
  4. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yes if the county doesn't do what I think is necessary I've told him that it's gonna take a dirt nap forever. Hoping the owners go the responsible route, $1200 dollars out of their pockets would be enough for me.

5. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    Just remember the following words, "I feared for my life", after that just repeat "lawyer". Say nothing else to the police.

JR in KY, Junglekat and Carl like this.
  6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Glad you were able to get in there and keep you dog from getting killed without too much damage to yourself.

7. HuntsItAll

HuntsItAll 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2009
    A hunters paradise
    Hate to hear about your dog. Hope he fully recovers. As the owner of 3 beagles, a lab, and a GSP, I know the love one feels for their dogs.

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Man, that's horrible. Hope he fully recovers. The other dog would be dead if it were me, law be damned. I'll take a misdemeanor, no problem.

9. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    True that, I have already laid the foundations with our county attorney ha ha. He agreed with me and promised to not file charges for "animal cruelty".

elkaholic likes this.
  10. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Yes I was lucky, stupid on my part but it happened so quick I didn't have time to grab my double stack nine but I won't make that mistake again. I got lucky with a bite to the elbow but it didn't stop my assault to his cranium

11. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Kentucky needs some new laws pertaining to "aggressive species", if I shot the dog I stand a chance of catching a "cruelty to animals". Is that not a joke?? Thanks brother much appreciated.

12. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Will your dog recover to be able to hunt like before or did the pit doo too much damage?
    Hopefully your dog will recover and be back to its old self.

13. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’m not sure that’s the case. The only time I’ve heard “cruelty to animals” was used around here was when someone decided to cull the neighborhood dog population with anti-freeze.

I think it would be difficult in KY to charge someone with cruelty to animals if they shoot a dog that is attacking a human, pet or livestock.

14. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    You’ll have a much better case if it occurs on your property, they’ll find someway to catch you up and charge you

carnivore and wildirishman64 like this.
  15. wildirishman64

wildirishman64 6 pointer

Dec 21, 2013
    Owsley County KY
    Right on, I'm putting some cattle fencing up when the weather turns alittle warmer for added protection.