Orca whales

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Duster, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Buddy I keep watch over his place for hunting rights is up in Quebec this week on vacation. He called this afternoon with a report. Him and his daughter are camped on the Saint Lawrence Seaway. He kept giving me a play by play of all the Pod's of Killer Whales going past. I told him he needs a BIG rod and reel. He was thinking about going out on their Kayaks to see how close they could get to one. I told him just don't make sounds or look like a seal....:eek::rolleyes::D and get ate.

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good advice. That would be cool to see...from a distance.

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    We had some in the gulf several years ago. Didn’t get to personally see them but a friend of mine working on a private boat did. Said they followed the boat around while they were marlin fishing. How they ended up thus far south is beyond me

4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Couple summers ago a big whale shark visited the gulf near where we were staying. I’d be surprised if it ever came back the way people pestered it.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Those are big critters, we were marlin fishin one day, thought it was a fad, pulled up next to it and about half it’s head came out of the water looking at us. Beautiful fish. Only seen two.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve heard. Didn’t see it myself. My guide that took me out said he’d been out to look at it a few times and locals told me about it. Apparently hung around same area about two weeks and boat traffic got crazy borderline dangerous trying to check it out.

7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Orca whales (while awesome creatures) are not to be viewed via kayak. I suggest a much much larger vessel.

8. bearleft

bearleft Spike

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    Poking the proverbial bear.

9. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    That would be pretty neat to see.

10. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Me and the wife saw a pod in Alaska while returning from a fishing trip. I have never felt so small inadequate. That is a fierce predator. I've seen the killer whales at Seaworld plenty of times. A wild killer whale is not the same.

11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Well they made it home without getting ate. I have not got a chance to ask if they did the kayak thing but I bet not.

carnivore likes this.
  12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    If they got pictures or video id like to see if they dont mind you posting it up. Ill be honest, just thinking about being in a kayak with one of those in the water freaks me out. Im way more comfortable with the predator role than prey.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I will check next time I see him. He only stopped by for a short time when they got back to pick up his mail and some items I was keeping for him and didn't bring up anything about pictures. I don't think they went out in kayaks but watched from shore.