Opinion piece

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Bowfinger, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    I want some opinions from the brain trust. In your opinion(s) where is the toughest hunting day after day? And why? Alaska excluded. Be specific please.

KDT.

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Species? If deer I’ll say the southeast as in south Ms,Al, La, Ga, and SC. Simply because everything stays green year round and hunting seasons are so long.But if your taking about other big game species like sheep, mountain goat etc, and this is just a guess I’ll say desert big horn then either Stone or Dall Sheep.

3. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Waterfowl? Chasing down a Barrows Goldeneye in state is a long shot... I have seen a scoter killed out of my spread and chased a brant pretty hard in 2000 but never got within 100 yards of it.. I hear grouse are rare and figure a bear in state is quite a rare trophy.

4. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
  5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    field hunting without a doubt especially in a state without enough cold weather to get the ground froze. bigger spreads having to be packed in and often moved from one feed to the next each day of hunting to be consistently killing numbers. but its the most fun as well. If you are looking for a state. my brother would say Georgia. waterfowl hunting just north of Atlanta sucks.

6. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    I'm sure it's not the toughest but to me hunting the main river channels not sloughs or anything off of it just the good old green river itself. First off it's no waterfowl mecca to begin with but getting what few birds do use it to play day after day is some of the most challenging hunting I've found. I hunt it alot when I dont have anything else going and get my butt kicked quite regularly. But the days you get it right are sure rewarding. But as I said I'm sure it's nowhere close to the toughest hunting just some of the tougher in my experience. Its honestly not worth the work most generally I'd be much better off to gas up the truck and drive somewhere but it's close to home which gives me many opportunities with small amounts of time I otherwise wouldn't get to capitalize on.

7. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
  8. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    In my opinion, the toughest hunting is the weeks following a 5" rain with temperatures in the 50's during late November/early December. Might as well go shoot some does. There aren't a lot of ducks here, they are spread out everywhere, and there's nothing to pattern. Scouting doesn't help. They can go sit somewhere one day and somewhere 5 miles away the next.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  9. travis_duckhunter

travis_duckhunter 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2007
    Owensboro, KY
    A hard freeze without a doubt. Everything breaks, doesn't work, and gets torn up. Breaking ice, disposing of ice, keeping anything you don't want as a solid icicle out of the water, etc.. It is exhausting, but damn it can be good!

10. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Good point. Let’s shift gears. What is the most rewarding situations/places you have hunted?

KDT

11. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Opposite here those 5” of rain weeks is the only time I have a spot to hunt, takes at least 3 inches to flood a field I hunt and only get to hunt it for about 3 days before it’s gone

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got the long shot two years ago. Got a Barrows Golden Eye Drake on a small lake in Fayette County. I knew it was a Golden Eye but it looked different. So I took it to SALATO Center and had a Biologist look at it. He confirmed it was a Barrows. Waiting to get it back from Taxidermist.

Drahts and FOWLER2671 like this.
  13. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    Mine's easy. First trip I ever went to hunt the woods in Arkansas. We killed 1 duck the whole time. But dang it was the most fun and interesting hunting trip I've ever been on. The second day, we had a group of 20+ break the trees while we weren't paying attention. Water was deep, so we had to hunt out of the boat. Group broke the trees and I guess we were just stunned we actually had birds in the decoys. They picked up and went out the other end of the hole without a shot being fired. Dumb moment. It was sure pretty tho.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Hardest hunting for me is right here in Central Ky. Not in the fly way. But we work hard for what few Birds we get.
    Easiest CANADA BY FAR. Dakotas second.

basshunter9239 and T-wil69 like this.
  15. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Most rewarding for me as stupid as it sounds is often just a day with my buddys shooting the bull. I've had some awesome days hunting that I never touched a feather. Seems like the older we get the busier we get and the days we can all get in the blind and bs keep getting fewer and fewer.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    gung and Capttrae like this.