One Eye or Two

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by 4UK, Oct 11, 2016.

1. 4UK

4UK 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Johnson co Ky
    I was just wandering how many of you shoot you bow with one eye closed, or if leave both eyes open. I tried to shoot with both eyes open but can not do it at all , absolutely will not work for me. I have to keep one eye closed or can not focus on anything. My friend shoots both eyes open and says he can see the target so much better like that. Just curious how everyone else shoots. Thanks for responses.

2. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I used to shoot with a patch over my eye because I'm right eye dominant It used to be a hustle and too much movement trying to lower the patch over my eye. I learn to shoot with both eyes open believe it or not my it improved my shooting.

3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Both eyes open.

Which unless there's an eye dominance issue ... both eyes open is pretty much how I learned to shoot a bow or gun.

4. JR87

JR87 Fawn

Oct 21, 2013
    Back I was shooting asa and field archery all the time I shot with both eyes open but since I've gotten out of that and just shoot for hunting I can not shoot with both eyes open. I can't focus on the dot as well with one eye and I don't like the decrease in field of view but it's better than going cross-eyed and seeing 2 of everything

5. EarlyBird1

EarlyBird1 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2014
    SouthCentral KY
    It's any eye dominance thing in most every case. I shoot right handed and I'm left eye dominant so I have to close my left eye to shoot. I think some guys can overcome it but most can't.

6. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Both eyes open. How are you aiming? If you are focusing on your sight pin, that could be an issue. Focus on the spot your aiming at.
    JR87 commented on going cross eyed. Well, that's exactly what you are doing if you are focused on the sight pin. On most setups, the sight is around 30" from your eye. If you are shooting at a deer at 25 yards, what are you aiming at, if you're focused on your sight pin?
    Your sight pin should appear in your line of sight, with your focus being on the target/deer. Pick a spot, and execute the shot.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    If you don't have a dominance issue, you'll shoot better with both eyes open.... except in low light.... Close that off eye in low light or you'll shoot way left or right depending on which eye is dominant.

8. TCam

TCam 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2013
    If you have a dominance issue, u can always just squint the non aiming eye this will solve both problems.

9. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    both open, I was more consistent

10. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 8 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I am and shoot right handed and am left eye dominate. I leave both eyes open. I shoot a longbow and instinctively.

11. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    Both eyes open but I'll occasionally close one eye if having trouble focusing in low light. Which, I learned to shoot a pistol with both eyes open. No one ever gave me instructions with a bow, this is just what comes natural. I will say that my eyes test the same or +/- .25 at the eye doctor.