Old Johnson outboards? Running/reliability

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by KYBOY, May 2, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I'm thinking about picking up a older Johnson 9.9hp for my 14' Jon boat. It's been gone through by a good boat mechanic with a rebuilt fuel pump and carb. I think asking price is $550. Any opinions on those older johnsons? Never owned one, thanks

2. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    We had an old Terry Bass fiberglass boat growing up most of my life. Thing was from the 80's I think. It had an old 85 Johnson on it that was a trooper. Covered that boat with black plastic and a tarp and left it outdoors every winter. Come spring, fresh gas and a charged batter and she was running within seconds. Not sure they are all like that but that was one of the most reliable motors I have ever experienced.

KYBOY likes this.
  3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

All depends on the year, the parts for old outboards don't come cheap. I been working on a 18hp Evinrude made in 1965. I have got it running but it has a skip in it at times. I figure the points and condenser need changed and I am not sure how to do that. I know you have to take off the top of the motor. Found a guy over in Bowling Green that works on the old stuff and just have not got it over to him yet. For $65 he will go thru it top to bottom, let you know what parts you need and fix it up. He has been working on outboards for 30+ years. I found him on Bowling Green Craigslist.

KYBOY likes this.
  4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I. Think this one is probably mid to late 80's

5. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    I bought a1976 Evinrude 9.9 (identical to Johnson except decals)when I lived in Florida and owned it up until last year. Sold it and the boat because all I do is the kayak thing now. I’ve done everything to it including powerhead and rebuild the lower end myself. Look up leroysramblings or maintaining johnson 9.9, he tells you everything you need to know about these motors, even how to make your own special tools. I still bought parts from Evinrude, but availability is dwindling, used parts on e-bay, and new parts from after market suppliers. Great motors. Still have the tools I made for the lower end.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

I have owned a few old Johnson's and they were all good motors. The main thing is to winterize the carb.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Whats your suggestion for that?

8. KYT

KYT 8 pointer

May 3, 2008
    Eastern Ky.
    Bought a 1965 Johnson 9.5 hp for $180 15 years ago. Had $100 worth of work done to the carb, fuel bowl,etc. It would start the first time it was used in about 3 pulls. After it was run for 15 minutes you could stop it , pull the starter rope about 6 inches and it would start. I've used it all day starting , running a ways and stopping, then restarting a few minutes later. Very reliable in all weather. It was used in the winter quite a bit. I ran the fuel out of the carb each time before it was put up.

KYBOY likes this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

That's a trick with any old outboard, unhook the gas line and run it dry. Will save you a lot of trouble later on. Seems like the two stroke gas mix will gum up the carb bad. Also make sure the water pump is working correct, Not a big deal to change out the impeller. They will do what is known as take a set if not used regular and not pump correct. I even had one do that on a 150 hp Merc once. Did not notice it was messed up until I was 5 miles from the ramp I had put in at and the overheat alarm went off.

KYBOY likes this.
  10. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    ^^^^Duster is right on. Would only add as you are running it dry fog the breather end of carb with penetrating oil of some kind. I like MotorKote. This is a good practice on anything being stored.

KYBOY likes this.
  11. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    I had a 25 horse Johnson back in the late 70s.Good little motor don't remember ever having any problems with it.

KYBOY likes this.
  12. Carl

Carl 10 pointer

Using Stabil, run the engine until fuel line is empty. Spray breather end with fogging oil. Use non ethanol gas if you can find it. Ethanol is bad for small engines. It attracts moisture.

Buy ethanol free gas here'
    https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=KY

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    KYBOY likes this.
  13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea we have a lot of small engines here. I've battled the ethanol problem. Thanks

14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Right on the non ethanol gas with 2 stroke mix. We have a nearby station that sell's pure gas, it is about 50 cents higher a gallon and 89 octane. My old evinrude calls for a hotter spark plug than the standard one.

On the water pump impeller you should turn the motor over a few times during periods of non use to keep it from taking a set. Either pull the rope or bump the electric start will work. May save you a problem come spring after winter storage.

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    paid for the motor yesterday after seeing it run. Started easy and ran smooth as can be. Hard to pass up a good running 10hp for that price with a guarantee too. Picking up a trailer too. Its having the bearings and seals replaced now. Got lucky and got both for a great price and less than 10 miles from the house

JeepComanche and bondhu like this.