nuisance deer laws for landowners?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by corndogggy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    This weekend I found out that a certain unnamed guy I know near where I hunt is shooting deer that comes into his garden. If they walked into the garden, he'd go plug it, then haul the carcass back into the woods to rot. He's even shot at least two fawns. How many times this has happened depends on who you ask. I seriously doubt this is happening in the broad daylight but I don't know.

He thinks this is completely legal since he's the landowner and he's not eating them, but I know he doesn't have any farm tags and commercial crops aren't growing on that farm anyway. I obviously don't agree with this so I've tried to look up the laws but can't find anything, figured one of you would know for sure. He openly talks about it so if it comes up again I'd like to be able to say something about it.

It's just so stupid, he plants pretty much the perfect food plot which is the only source of planted food like that for what I can tell is well over 1,000 acres, doesn't put up a fence, then gets mad when the deer come eat it. Not really sure what he expected to happen.

2. Well I would call the local CO for your area . Tell him what is going on . Even if this guy is doing it legal maybe the CO could get him to call and donate the deer for the hungry . Nothing more than makes me mad when someone lets a animal goto waste .I know it is a crock , but hey maybe find out if you can hunt his land . Is he that big of a jerk if so make it hard on him .

3. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

If he is harvesting more deer than allowed by state tags he HAS to have farm deprevation tags.
    If he wants to shoot as many as that zone allows he may do so by using landowner tags at no cost. But he still has to tag them and call them in.

I would say he is probably illegal in some manner. call the CO.

4. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.

Correct answer, except wait until you know he has a dead one on the ground, then call till you get a CO or local police or State police man to document it.

5. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    The Tin Foil Mansion
    Most "gardening" is not done during gun season......:)

I'd guess he "could" get crop damage permits, but he may not have done so??? In which case it is NOT legal...

6. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    He can kill the deer in season with legal weapons until he reaches the limit, if there is one. But he has to call them in same as anyone else. His name should be on the Telechek list if he's legit.

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I dont know about now, but 6 years ago my CO told me after a lengthy disscusion,that I could do what ever I needed to do to control the deer in my crops! I cant just go out and shoot deer anytime I see them but, if they are in my crops doing damage I can take care of the problem. No different than a yote killing calfs, or a fox or stray dog in the hen house!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    Well i just got through watching the ky afeild call in show and they said that if you are the landowner you can shoot deer without a license for them.but if you lease it or just work on the farm you cannot...you have to own the land

9. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    Is there not a law about intentionaly wasteing a game animal.I>E> Draggin it into the brush and leavin it.....Is this guy a vegetarian or just stupid?

10. str8 shot

str8 shot 12 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    berea kantuckie
    maybe this is a good thing for you...ask him for the meat from em

11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    A one time thats what I had to do. now you can use the meat but cant keep the rack!:rolleyes:

12. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

You still have to tag them on landowner tags, and call them in.
    And unless its changed "tenant farmers" could also kill them without purchasing a license or tag.

13. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Its not that hard to get crop damage tags. Well usually. I know I farmer who had all kinds of damage but couldent get any for some reason this year. Most of the time you can show the CO the damage and he will hook you up..

14. tenntucky

tenntucky 10 pointer

Sep 24, 2007
    Mineral Bluff, Ga
    If a farmer needs help all he has to do is get the word out and I figure he won't have any trouble gettin a bunch of folks with their own tags. Ya think?

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea but they cant get help in July when the damage is occuring...