Northwoods

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by PCoGrousehunter, Jun 3, 2018.

1. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Grouseguy: Our Kentucky group has heard that the drumming count is expected to be low and west nile is a significant cause. I don't know whether the source is reliable and hope it is not. Do you have any information for us?

2. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Im not Grouseguy obviously, but there is a source for more information and opinions than anyone can absorb on the Great lakes grouse issues and WNV in the Upland Journal web site. I will roughly summarize some of it: WNV is being found in some states but it apparently is believed by the biologists to be an insignificant factor compared to abnormally wet and cold weather the last few springs which many think is the main culprit in the low grouse numbers in Minn, Mich, Wis. Reliable Locals report hearing basically no drumming in some areas and few grouse sightings on roads since last season. Some pockets are claimed by others to be as good as ever. Not much free information about where those pockets are located. The grouse hunting is an industry in those states. IMO Many there dont want to report the low numbers due to tourism dollars at risk. The problem for traveling bird hunters is that there is no "high bird numbers" destination anywhere in US this year. Pick your poison from state to state an species to species: too much rain and flooding , too little rain and drought, disease, too much hunting pressure, etc etc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    bondhu and trust me like this.
  3. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I’m actually in WI now.

Basically, the whole hatch was lost last year, so it would make sense that drumming was down this year.

My understanding is that WNV has been confirmed in some Great Lake states, but not WI so far.

Chicks have hatched in the past week or so, and the weather here is perfect now.

This year, more than most, will largely depend on reproduction and survival... so far looks good, but the next couple of months will tell the tale.

4. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    the wisconsin 2018 drumming survey results , just released, show a 34% drumming decrease from last year. It makes sense that it would be lower due to the lower number of birds present last fall, and it is only those birds that actually survived the hunting season and the winter that are out there to drum this spring.

I'm told by some locals that generally the weather for the hatch period in last several weeks has been very good , with warmer temps and little heavy rain. A bountiful poults crop would sure help the rebound if , as some claim , there is not a WNV or other such disease issue to deal with. Minnesota drum counts are released later in summer.

5. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Just when it looked like there was hope for a decent hatch, much of northern wisconsin reportedly received 6 to 10 inches of rain in last few days, and this apparently in considered prime hatch period there. not good at all.

6. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Flood conditions. All they could say was "It's wet, but the temps are warm." It sure isn't looking good.

7. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Some family are up riding ATV's this week in the northwoods; reports of bird sightings has been horrendous as compared to years past at this time of year.

8. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
  9. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Any updates from anyone regarding brood sightings?

10. Happy Camper

Happy Camper 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2013
    I've no news but curious also. I sent a text to the caretaker of the cabins where we stay. He's an outdoorsman and always takes note of broods, sightings, etc. and keeps me updated.When I hear back from him ai will pass the info along.

11. PCoGrousehunter

PCoGrousehunter Spike

Jan 21, 2008
    Butler Kentucky
    Thanks. Let us know if you hear anything.

12. Bee

Bee 8 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    sure is quiet on this topic....tarbaby he dont say nuttin ? , or in reality is there nothing to say.?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  13. Deadbeat

Deadbeat 6 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Frenchburg
    I'm leaving on Oct. 18th, plan on walking a lot and shooting a few birds, watching the dog work. I really hope I hit the woodcock good if the grouse continue to decline.

14. KY Grouse Hunter

KY Grouse Hunter 6 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Southeastern Kentucky
    Northwoods Thread Prediction:
    1. 98% of the population viewing this thread going north will realistically average anywhere from 10-20 flush days (probably more the latter).
    2. The top 2% of the population of this thread going north will "supposedly" average anywhere from 60-740 flush days, will limit everyday, and win the lottery without playing.