NON-Native Cervid????

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by MRDUKS, Sep 6, 2003.

1. MRDUKS

MRDUKS 6 pointer

Jun 14, 2003
    MIDDLEBURG, KY, USA.
    I was just wandering in the hunting guide it lists non-native cervid and non-domesticated bovid in the open all year section. Is there really a population of sheep, goats, or other exotics free ranging somewhere in KY.? If so what and where are they located? Just curious other than Fallow Deer I was not aware of any.

2. Larry Carter

Larry Carter 8 pointer

Mar 2, 2003
    Crab Orchard, Ky, USA.
    Some exotics close to Louisville and escapes other places.Sikas around Louisville discussed on other topics in the past.

3. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

A long time ago there was a island full of goats out in Barkley lake. I had a friend go out and shoot one off there.

4. back in the late 70's,I saw a mule deer killed in Gallatin County.Guess they would count as non-native also?

5. Hunt n nut

Hunt n nut 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2002
    I have walked up on the same goat in Pennyrile State Forest the last three seasons. In the same area also.

6. shogan

shogan Cyber-Hunter

Aug 15, 2002
    Central, ky
    How does goat taste

7. REGULAR JOE

REGULAR JOE 6 pointer

Jun 30, 2003
    London, KY.
    I've heard it tastes like chicken, shogan. lol..... Domestic goat has a porky taste to me. Never eaten wild goat though.

Compound bow: $150-$500
    Treestand: $100-300
    Clothes, boots, cover scent, all other accesories: $250 (I'm cheap)

Openening day of bow season: PRICELESS

8. Hammer

Hammer 12 pointer

Sep 2, 2002
    Bowling Green, Ky.
    goat is really pretty good. I ate some of it in Haiti. Has a unique taste, meat is a bit tough.

9. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

I had the same experience as Hammer in Mexico. I thought it was pretty good.

10. Hunt n nut

Hunt n nut 6 pointer

Aug 17, 2002
    I never found out. I was pre-season scouting along this ridge and worked myself out on a point. On the end of it was this bedded billy. We were at a stand off for what seemed like 10 minutes. I ended up picking up a stick and throwing at him. He dropped down on his butt and slid about 25 ft. off of the point. And never missed a step. The last time I saw him was during the quota hunt. 1 1/2 miles is too far to drag a goat.

11. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I have been seeing Goats along the Cumberland Parkway in Metcalfe Co.
    Has anyone else seen them. One billy is Black and white.

You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take. Wayne Gretzye