New turkey shotgun

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by katlynn, Feb 12, 2017.

1. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm thinking about getting my fiance a turkey gun. I am mostly unfamilar with shotguns and turkey hunting. He has some vision problems and when we were trying out different rifles found that iron sights did not work for him at all. He does shoot very well with a scope.

Any of you guys have similar issues? What do you use on your turkey guns?

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    most turkey guns come drilled and tapped. several affordable turkey/shotgun scopes on the market.

3. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Like mainbeam said most turkey guns can be setup with a red dot or scope. So that really isnt a issue. As far as which one to get thats up to you. They all wil get the job done. Do you want a pump shotgun or a automatic? If money is a factor i would get a pump remington 870 or a mossberg 835. Both are great turkey guns that wont break the bank around 3 or 4 hundred bucks. If you want to spend a little more and get a automatic i would suggest a mossberg 935. I bought one a couple of years ago and i think i gave about 600 for it new. An it is a great gun for the price.
    If you wanna go all out and spend around a grand then i would suggest a winchester super x3 automatic or a remington vera max.
    Keep in mind all of them will kill turkeys. The automatics are nice but not a must. I have killed a bunch of turkeys over the years with my old mossberg 835 and my remington 870. I have also even killed a few with the old single shot shot guns that can be had for under a hundred bucks. Ha. An being the odd ball i am i enjoy using muzzeloading shotguns as well.
    The mossberg 935 auto is hard to beat. Mainly because it is on the cheaper side of auto shotguns and preforms as well as the high doller ones.
    An i like red dots over scopes when it comes to turkey hunting.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I'm pretty sure I'd be the first thing he shot if I bought him a muzzle loading shotgun! haha He bought a ML rifle for deer and cursed the loading process every time...still hunted with it of course. ;)

5. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    There are many great options.... $$$ will determine what options are realistic. How big a guy is he, and how old is he? That will help determine what guage to get.

6. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    He's 40, average build. I'm hoping to stay under $500.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Plenty of options then. All of the previous posts are good. Google best turkey gun under $500 gives some food for thought

8. bondhu

bondhu 6 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Look around at pawn shops. Around my area seams as though used turkey shotguns are second to pawned muzzleloader. Good possibility it may be set up with optics under $500

9. Randy1974

Randy1974 Spike

Apr 12, 2016
    Remington 870 express around $300 scope and mount should be under $500 total best gun for the money I've killed lots with one

10. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Does he have other shotguns? I grew up with Remington guns so that's what I'm used to and still shoot. Nothing against the mossy but they just feel differently in my hands.

As said, a pump will save some $$$. If you want to put a scope/red dot on it that will be extra and don't forget you will likely want to buy a good choke tube.

You can kill birds with a standard full choke, but to see a guns real potential your going to spend anywhere from 40 to 100 on a good tube.

Then there's shells that aren't exactly cheap. You will want to shoot several brands and shot sizes etc. to see what your gun likes.

Set the scope/red dot up with bird shot at closer ranges to save money. Do your fine tuning with your hunting rounds.

11. katlynn

katlynn 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I know deer hunting but next to nothing about shotguns and turkeys. I'll look around with your advice in mind.

12. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    For the money they are hard to beat !