New to KY

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Mexican Biker, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Mexican Biker

Mexican Biker Fawn

Jul 29, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Hi there my name is Oscar, I'm a service member who recently moved here. I am looking to get into hunting and would like some advice on where to start or if possible for someone to show me the ropes. I've been a salt water fisherman for over 10 years and now shifting to hu to g since there's no salt water out here and I'm and avid outdoorsman. Any advice, suggestions, secrets what ever it may be it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for the support in this matter.

2. rutnbuk

rutnbuk Fawn

Jul 11, 2017
    Mayseville
    Welcome to the forum.

3. LoneArrow

LoneArrow 6 pointer

Jul 21, 2016
    Welcome to one of the greatest states in the country. What county are you in?

4. Mexican Biker

Mexican Biker Fawn

Jul 29, 2017
    Fort Knox
    I'm in Hardin county

5. Swampy207

Swampy207 6 pointer

Sep 30, 2014
  6. logan1864

logan1864 Fawn

Oct 23, 2017
    Elizabethtown
    Hey that's awesome! I'm in Hardin county as well, I have hunted in other places of Kentucky but this is my first year in this area.

7. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Kentucky's wildlife management areas are a great place to start. Lots of good places to bow and squirrel hunt. Modern firearms not so much. Almost all the land in the state is in private hands so, either the land owner uses it to hunt or it's leased. Modern gun hunts for deer are mostly by draw on the WMAs and, you have to get your name on the list early.
    Kentucky has some really good fishing at various lakes, streams, and rivers. But, I can't help you there as I grew up mainly fishing farm ponds.
    Kentucky's fish and wildlife websites have maps of all the WMAs with the corresponding rules etc.