New to hunting.

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by Ninja GLP, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Ninja GLP

Ninja GLP Fawn

Sep 8, 2018
    Paris, KY
    Hi I'm new to the site and too hunting in general trying to learn as much I can do figured this was a good place to start. I'm mostly looking into doing archery hunting. I'm from Bourbon county and don't own any private land so probably wl be hunting the Clay Griffith and Veterans WMAs. I'm new to all this so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. About me in general I shoot alot of competitions steel challenges and run and gun 5ks. Also a big bourbon and cigar guy. Hope to get to know and maybe meet up with some of you.

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Welcome! Be patient, be safe, and enjoy being outside. Noone in my family hunted so i was on my own when i started hunting as a young adult. I made every mistake twice. You dont need a bunch of expensive gear or a pack full of gimmick crap to be successful. When things dont go well initially its real easy to start buying stuff to compensate. You need to learn how to stay warm when its cold, how to be safe when hunting around others, and how to safely use a treestand. Always wear a harness! Once you find spots with good sign you need to learn how to position youself and your stand based on where your scent is going. Public land is tough so you will need to be very patient with yourself. Good luck and ask questions here as needed.

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I live very close to the Griffiths woods WMA and could give you some info if you'd like

carnivore likes this.
  4. Ninja GLP

Ninja GLP Fawn

Sep 8, 2018
    Paris, KY
    That be awesome did a little scouting there today

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
  6. Ninja GLP

Ninja GLP Fawn