New Places to Fish

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Teach Deer, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have seriously let down on my fishing the last couple of years... I have some interest but between teaching and other commitments in the spring, I have to chose my time carefully.

Also, NO BOAT...so I fish from the bank when I go...

The FINS lakes have me covered for trout (also the Carr Fork Lake spillway when I get the chance)...but need advice on other places (bank accessible) where there is some decent fishing for different species (i.e. catfish, bass, crappie, white bass, etc)...

Any advice is appreciated...

Back in my early adulthood (that is 20 years ago now...wow), my fishing needs was generally taken care of by a few trips to Cherokee Lake in Tennessee...trying to stay closer to home now a days...

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Try troublesome creek for smallies, rock bass, green sunfish, and bluegill

Teach Deer likes this.
  3. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I'll second troublesome!! Great wade fishing. Buck Creek and Pitman Creeks in Pulaski county also offer good small mouth numbers when wade fishing.

Teach Deer likes this.
  4. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Says your from Gtown? Do you ever stay local and fish Elkhorn?

Teach Deer likes this.
  5. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    The only time I have tried the Elkhorn was with my son and his cousins at the park/boat ramp off of KY 227 (Stamping Ground Rd)...near where the new high school is being built...but I was not fishing seriously (except to pull my son out of the river when he fell in)...

I have also fished the Kentucky River back near its headwaters in Letcher Co to limited success...

Not looking for any real big fish (I threw back in the largest fish, 24" largemouth, est 7+ lbs that I caught in a farm pond where I use to live)...just a good time playing in the water...catfish would be good...

Watched a commercial for a KY Outdoors show on the Hunt Channel (Roku) where a guy was hammering white bass...looked like fun...

Cherokee Lake in TN was always fun for me because you never knew what might hit your bait...1/2 lb bluegill or crappie one cast, 5 lb channel catfish second cast, 70 lb striped bass third cast...especially when you are using an ultralight rig with 6 lb monofilament (you can see why I did not land the striped bass...LOL).