New land owner

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by sacmarata, Jul 24, 2018.

1. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Finally did it. Just closed on 91 wooded acres in Anderson county. Good hardwoods and no steep hills. It joins the family farm of 18 acres, so now I can walk out my back door and start hunting.
    Now all I have to do is get rid of 91 acres of honeysuckle? Any suggestions that dont involve a dozer or deforesting equipment?

drakeshooter likes this.
  2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    No steep hills on an Anderson county farm!? Sounds like an oxymoron haha.
    Congrats on the ground, they quit making it years ago. As for the honeysuckle, gonna be hard to wipe out in a wooded area. Goats come to mind

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Congrats. And the honeysuckle is hard to get rid of, especially in wooded areas. As mentioned,goats work..but hogs will wipe it out as well. Just have to do fencing for both. Good luck and enjoy the land.

4. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    There is a chemical called crossbow that should stunt/kill them but you still have all the mass there, depending on how big they are you might be in for a job without heavy equipment

5. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    We have 3 dwarf goats. Let's see...an acre a month X 91 acres. Looks like somewhere around 2026 I should have the place cleaned up :)

bondhu, rabbit dawg and xbokilla like this.
  6. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I’d maybe leave some of that honeysuckle, once it frosts and turns winter deer tear that stuff up

bearleft likes this.
  7. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Fence it really good and buy some goats

8. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    I second the goats however, i also agree that deer and other wildlife love some honeysuckle.

davers likes this.
  9. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    If it's the bush honeysuckle like is all over my farm, you have to cut it and then spray the stump/base with glyphosate within a couple minutes to kill the stuff. If you wait to long it will seal over and gly won't get into it. I have given up after cutting/spraying for several years and if you can't bush hog it, you can't get ahead of the stuff. I hate it but deer do eat it a little.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Congrats and man am I jealous! Thankful for the fine folks that let me hunt but always dreamed of my own place.

11. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    If its thick and you want it gone quicker reach out to Brsutton86. Have him come out and give it a look. If you can have him grind it up you can then keep it gone with an annual spraying of gly or crossbow. I kill the bushes stone dead with Gly as long as I soak most of the leaves. As far as the benefits for deer there are tons more stuff in those Anderson county woods that does the deer a whole lot better than that invasive crap.

labwild, sacmarata and timer like this.
  12. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    i agree. Deer on my property flock to wild Honeysuckle. Also provides good nesting and cover for game animals like Cottontail Rabbits.

13. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    This has been a dream of mine since I was old enough to stomp around in the woods.
    This property was abandoned in 1974, so I spent my youth exploring back there. Now I own it. Still pinching myself.

14. Tom Threetoes

Tom Threetoes 8 pointer

Oct 4, 2002
    southern Indiana.
    Congratulations, we bought the family 80 acre plot about 9 years ago and it has kept us broke, tired, busy, and very happy all at the same time. it's an endless source pride and an investment for the kids and grand kids. My mom and dad bought it in the '70s and we grew up hunting and hiking there.

sacmarata likes this.
  15. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Congrats on the property
    The way they advertise buck jam and comere deer. If you was to spray that honeysuckles. Maybe save you on price of fence and goats:)