New Kentucky Waterfowler

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Drifter, May 11, 2017.

1. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Fellow Waterfowlers – I am Active Duty Military and will be moving to Fort Knox this summer… I may also purchase my first Duck Boat before I come out. I grew up in Nebraska so only ever hunted out of pit blinds along the river and in corn fields there. Since joining the military I have lived as an itinerant hunter, forced to hunt mostly public land and have been carrying everything in on my back for the last 13 years, I am getting tired of that… Since this will be my first boat I am looking for opinions on buying a large boat and surface driven motor versus a layout boat with a long-tail motor; what makes the most sense for Kentucky, acknowledging that it may be different from the central part of the state where I will be living versus the west end where it sounds like there are more ducks. Any advice would be well appreciated. - Luke

2. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Nelson County
    Outboard

Thank you for your service

3. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Thanks for the Reply

4. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Outboard. Surface drive motors really limit you as far as versatility and year round use. Hollar at me when you get here, I work in e-town.

Giveem3outdoors likes this.
  5. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    Save your money. Go on a couple guided hunts during season. Apply for sloughs and Ballard hunts in September on KY fish and wildlife page (boats not needed). Buy a poontoon if your aching for a boat. Find somebody that has access to a goose field. Welcome to the duck desert, where the Mississippi fly way is to far west and the eastern flyway is too Far East.

Thanks for your service.

6. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Buy a yeti sticker and a Drake ventilated shirt maybe some crocs or whatever the latest footwear fad is. You probably can't grow a real deal duck commander beard being in the service and all but you have options. https://www.amazon.com/Beard-Mustac...494592624&sr=8-6&keywords=duck+dynasty+beards

Go to Gander Mountain and get a kayak so you can float the streams and crack and stack the woodies. Welcome to Ky .

7. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    B.M. Barrelcooker - I have been hunting long enough that I don't look to the Duck Commander and Frat Boys for recomendations on hunting gear... Was just looking to see if and what type of boat would make sense specifically for Kentucky if I decide to go that way. I have a kayak that I used to float the creeks when I was stationed in Texas, so good to know that will be an option in KY, thanks.

B.M. Barrelcooker likes this.
  8. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven 10 pointer

Apr 19, 2006
    on the road
    Any boat will open up options for you but what type will depend on where you think you will hunt it the most. I hunt the ohio river a lot so i have a boat to handle it but i also have boats for other situations if need be. I would say a boat with an outboard would be your best option. Thank you for your service.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Don't let Barrelcooker fool you, he is a Green Egg prostaff homer extraordinaire!!

A 16-18 ft Modified V tiller boat is really hard to beat in 95% of all the situations you will run into with ducks, fish, family etc. You can get out on the lakes and rivers and go up creeks etc. There are times I wonder about a mudmotor but instant reverse is not all that common in the various mudmotors. I go through almost everything with an outboard though crossing logs is a little slower with an outboard.

Most of the places where a mud motor would be better in Ky are private. Barkley lake might be the exception or Ky in the backs of bays.

10. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Rob - Thanks for the input. It is looking like the Ohio will be the best/closest thing for me, so I do appreciate the advice.

11. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Thanks!

12. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    PS; Did they move "Agony and Misery" to Benning along with the tanks?

If you get time during the season, let me know and I would be happy to show you a spot or two out West.

13. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Ha! I bet they wished they could have towed them down there with all of the tanks they took...

14. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    You obviously took that as a personal attack. I apologize if you took it that way. As an outsider it was good recommendation as to how to fit in to the Ky waterfowling scene.
    If you get a chance to go with Fowler-90210 you should take it. He knows the ins and outs of west ky quite well..... he is the real deal.

15. Drifter

Drifter Fawn

May 9, 2017
    Fort Knox
    Ha! I get it now with the beard, the crocs threw me off... Thanks for the insight and I will see if Fowler-90210 jumps in here. You guys have all been very helpful thus far, much appreciated.