New Hunter, New to Kentucky

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by brown7, Dec 7, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

1. brown7

brown7 Fawn

Friday
    Louisville
    Hello all,

I’m glad to have found this group, as I’ve been seeking for a long time a lot of the information you all have been discussing.

I moved to Kentucky a couple years ago (Louisville) but grew up in southern Illinois. I do not come from a hunting family, but have some friends and few relatives that enjoy the activity. My interest began about a year ago and am hunting for the first time this season. So far I’ve only squirrel hunted back in Illinois, but I’m hoping to get into some Kentucky woods soon. However, having no relatives or native friends it’s hard to get advise. If you have any to throw my way it would be greatly appreciated, especially concerning the best public areas with an abundance of squirrel or maybe rabbit.

I’m focusing on small game this season to get some experience as I’m new to the game and not overly skilled with long guns. I eventually want to bird hunt, especially ducks, and am considering trying to hunt dove this year, if I’m able to find a place to go in time. I also am planning on deer hunting next season.

Let me know if you have any words of wisdom!

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 6 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill/Wolfe County
    Welcome. A lot of opportunities for small game on WMA'S around Ky. You should have plenty of options.

3. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Welcome. No advice on hunting wma's, sorry never been to one. My shooting advice is to learn to keep both eyes open no matter the weapon you choose, scoped or not. Especially moving targets.

4. brown7

brown7 Fawn

Friday
    Louisville
    Thanks for the encouragement!

5. brown7

brown7 Fawn

Friday
    Louisville
    Thanks for the advice! I’ll try it out

6. kymuskie

kymuskie Fawn