New hunter from Northern Kentucky!

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by City_Slicker, Oct 29, 2018.

1. City_Slicker

City_Slicker Fawn

Oct 29, 2018
    Covington
    Hey everyone! A little about me; I'm a 35 year old Ohio transplant having married a Kentucky gal a couple years ago. Graduated from the University of Cincinnati with an engineering degree and I've worked in architectural design and construction management for the last 17 years. I spend most of my time renovating the house or playing Overwatch.

I've never been hunting in my life, but when I was younger I had a step father that hunted and probably would have taken me out but I had no interest at the time. I enjoyed the meat in the freezer though and that's my ultimate goal with this venture. I also enjoy the challenge of diving in to something totally new and achieving reasonable success.

With all that said I have taken and passed my Hunters Education course this past weekend. My next step is to identify what I want to hunt, where to hunt it and begin to gather the necessary gear to do it. I'd like to get right in to deer, but I can't tell if that's a reasonable goal for someone like me, who will likely be alone, trying to dress a deer for the first time.

I actually found this site when I googled hunting boar in Kentucky. Seems like the exact forum I should be a part of. I'm happy to be here!

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Welcome to hunting and to the Forum! Post any questions you run across on here, someone will have an answer. Good luck!

City_Slicker likes this.
  3. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
  4. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Welcome. We're also Ohio transplants, but we've been here about 8 years now.
    What are your plans for hunting - bow, gun, crossbow?
    Where are you thinking of hunting?

For a new hunter, I'd recommend going over to Cecil Clark on Monmouth and getting a Havalon knife and a few blades, then going to Walmart and getting the "butt-out" tool. That should take care of field dressing tools and make it easy. After that, determine your eye dominance before you get started on your equipment journey.

City_Slicker likes this.
  5. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Don't be afraid of taking the first steps. I was really worried my first time, but realized that it's way easier than you'd think.

City_Slicker likes this.
  6. City_Slicker

City_Slicker Fawn

Oct 29, 2018
    Covington
    I don't plan on doing anything until the 2019 season but I'm leaning towards a gun just for simplicity. I like the idea of bow hunting, but I've never shot one and I don't have the space to practice.

I have no idea yet, I'm going to reach out to my wife's family to see if anyone has private land I could use. I'd like to avoid public land if possible, I have the feeling that once deer rifle season starts the public lands will be crawling with people. But maybe it's not like that, I don't know.

I've been to that knife store a couple times! It's great. A Havalon you say? I'll look in to that.

I have a friend who just bought some land in New Richmond Ohio. He's going to deer hunt, but I'd like to stick to Kentucky because out of state fees are higher than I'd like to pay. Though, maybe for my first time I just bite the bullet to get the experience. He's never hunted before either. I'm still piecing together a plan as you can tell, luckily I have time.

7. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    It isn't too high to hunt in Ohio if that's available to you. I'd say get out there this year and give it a try if you can find a spot (in KY or OH). You're not going to get/see deer every time you go out and the best way to figure out hunting is to put boots on the ground and time in the blind/stand. Just figuring out comfortable gear can be a lot of trial and error before you find what works best for you.

If you're planning modern gun, you can't hunt public lands anyways during that season with a modern gun. Since it is only archery season take a day and go on a couple hikes around the local WMAs and start looking for how to spot deer sign. You might find a place that you just have to hunt.

Not sure what you've got for firearms, but if you're on a budget a basic shotgun or a crossbow are both good starter items if you've never shot a bow.