Never had this happen before

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wildcat, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I was mowing this afternoon and I got back into some trees that need to be trimmed bad. Anyway while I was running my zero turn mower in them I got a spider web on my wide beam straw hat that I wear while mowing. I simply reached up to pull it off and didn't think anything about it. A minute later I felt something fall from my hat to my neck. I thought it was a leaf or small stick from the trees because it's happened before. I didn't want it to go down my shirt so I brushed it forward to the front and it landed on the front of my white shirt. It was NOT a stick but a Black Window spider!!!! I quickly brushed it to the floor of the mower and stepped on it hard making a big blob of liquid.

I turned the mower off and jumped off. First checked my hat then took off my shirt to check it. Nothing else on me but man, just the thought of a Black Window Spider on the back of my neck is still driving me nuts. I came inside took a good shower and changed cloths. Right now I'm setting here typing this without any shirt on which is normal but I'm still itching on my neck and back, I guess my mind is playing tricks on me because nothing is there.

2. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Fun times. I've seen a few in my life. Luckily before I touched them.

3. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    On a side note. Years ago there was a guy in Henry County that died after being bitten. He put on a pair of coveralls or a winter shirt that had been hanging in his basement all summer. Don't know the exact details but, I am thinking multiple bites.

4. Regulator623

Regulator623 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    You'll know it soon if you got bit...I got a bite on the calf last summer by an unknown type of spider, two days later I could barely get my workboot on. The doctor put me on a bacterial antibiotic? and that took care of it. A spider bite is serious business and is nothing to play around with....keep an eye on it.

5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    I doubt I got bit but I will keep an eye on it for sure.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Brown recluse is a another poisonous spider and Ky esp CKy is loaded with them. They lay low though and aren’t seen very often. I hate spiders!

7. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I put the camper top on my truck for me and a friend to sleep in on a haistily planned overnight fishing trip a few years back. After we ran our lines that night I crawled into the camper shell for a little sleep. Man it was comfortable, I had an air mattress in the bed of the truck covered with a foam mattress pad. I was already tucked in when my friend crawled in, covered up and said, "man, ain't this the life" then he said what are those 2 black dots were on the ceiling? I said I don't know.

He fumbled around and got his keychain flashlight out and we discovered that those dots were black widows happily sitting on their webs. My friend panicked and slithered out of the camper whilst mumbling something or nother. I just stretched out and had one best nights sleep ever! I looked the next morning, and those two old gals were right where they were the night before.. just as I knew they would be..

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Grabbed a spare trailer tire by the center cap hole and set it in the pickup bed. Then as I stood it up to roll it I spied a widerr on the back side of the hole. How I didn't grab the thing was a stroke of luck. Won't do that no mo!:D

9. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    It was probably a big type of "Orb Spider", they are scary and I don't want them on my neck, but they can't really do much to you. I think Black Widows make low to the ground webs under things and are real shy. The only ones I 've seen were underneath piles of wood or brush.

Coot_Meurer, drakeshooter and barney like this.
  10. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Kind of what I was thinking as well. I’ve seen a few black widows out away from homes or buildings. “In the wild” lets say. All have been on the ground or around rocks on the ground but never up in a tree or brush like the type of spider web you might walk thru or see at head or shoulder height while hunting or being in the woods. The black widows I’ve seen in homes or a garage have been down low to the floor or even on the floor like in a shoe, or in/on a web that was attached to something on the floor. Had a neighbor give me a Coleman stove a few years ago. It had never been used and he told it been sitting in his garage floor since he’d bought it. As I was cleaning the dust off, a widow fell out and was promptly squashed. So all I’m saying is that I’ve encountered a few over the years and they’ve all been down low and never higher up.

Coot_Meurer likes this.
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Well those tree branches were about waste high, remember I was on my zero turn mower.

12. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Only place I’ve ever seen black widows are in garage by door sensors, corner of house behind bottom of the gutter and under every watermelon I’ve ever tried growing. Needless to say, we buy our watermelons now...

13. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    I have a firewood stock under my wood oven outside and seen a Giant brown spider looks like it might be fury. Cant tell exactly because it moves really fast. Forward backward like lightening! Any ideas to what kind it is? South Central KY. Also my wife got bit by a Brown Recluse couple years ago and festered nasty.

14. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    What are the big huge long legged spiders that show up inside this time of year? My husband's always called them "wolf spiders" but I'm not sure if that's right.... They sure can scare the crap out of you! I swear some of 'em are as big as a mouse!

15. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    DDFE5FEA-1893-41CF-85EB-26B8F7223397.jpeg Garden spiders. The big black ones with yellow. They are called Yellow Garden Spiders.