Neighbor bailing wheat before harvest

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drakeshooter, May 13, 2019.

1. I’m guessing they planted last fall rolling the dice the wheat issue would be worked out by now. But with talks breaking down with China it looks like they’re cutting their losses before they have to store it for God only knows how long.

[​IMG]

2. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    We have in the past and several around here plant wheat just for hay. Now is the time to bale it and get it out of the field so a guy can get his corn/beans planted.

3. I know all about normal crop rotating and this ain’t it. Around here you harvest wheat in June, plant late beans, then corn the next year so you get 3 crops in 2 years. This isn’t normal and is part of the China trade dispute is my point. See that irrigation system in the background? This wheat was planted with the intention to harvest it in June not to bail for hay.

4. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    You don't see many of that type of irrigation in ky. I've only seen 2.
    Getting his beans out earlier will definitely increase his yield. Unless he had a buyer for the straw not much money in wheat. Even before all the trade war started.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Bean prices are suffering too aren’t they?

drakeshooter likes this.
  6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    We cut wheat down yesterday to bale for straw.

00noturkey, bondhu and drakeshooter like this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Yes they are. A lot of the farmers here are skipping beans this year. Going with more corn. With all the Bourbon making going on now. Market for Corn.

00noturkey likes this.
  8. Yeah I saw where China is buying their beans from Brazil and they’re down to $8 a bushel. Hell I remember when they were bringing that in the 70s.

9. They’re all over west Calloway County, dozens and dozens. I’m surrounded by them. They dig a well right there in the field and I can’t help but wonder if one day they won’t suck the water table dry. Thankfully haven’t really needed much irrigation the last couple years.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Same type crop rotation in this part also. Most everyone that farms rotates corn one year beans the next and throw wheat in to double crop. Neighbor cuts around 400 acres every year of wheat hay then plants his crops right behind it. Been doing it for years. Even when prices was good. Sometimes the hay is more valuable than wheat. Plus it is getting late on planting corn with all the rain we have had. That’s one reason we stopped harvesting wheat was because to let it mature for harvest it made you later getting your other crops out. We have lots of irrigation around here in river bottom areas also.

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    This trade war is not looking good for farmers. Cattle prices aren’t much better either.

Munson likes this.
  12. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    not my area of expertise, if there were a way to cut imports of veggie's and fruit from the south america, and a way to cut out the grocery store from, beef profits. kroger is selling beef for over $3.00lb, for less cuts, and $8.00lb, for better cut's, give or take. i cant remember how much it cost, to make skimpy, burger's, the last time. it was way over-rated. i never seen that much shrinkage, till i hit the cold water.
    the farmer's an the cattlemen, have to figure out how to beat the gov. and the sellers. ever time i get a peach from kroger, if it aint green, its rotten.
    so it goes

13. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I saw where Beef prices are up a bit here lately.

14. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I hope so. I had a load sell Monday. Check should arrive today in the mail.

bondhu and drakeshooter like this.