Need advice on staying warm

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Orphanbrg, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Orphanbrg

Orphanbrg Fawn

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm in my late 40's and this is my 4th season hunting and I have a hard time staying warm in my stand. I'm used to working outside in the winter but this sitting around in the cold is killing me. My current cold weather gear consists of:

Duluth Trading Buck Naked Performance base layer (to prevent inching)
    Woolpower 200gram base layer top & bottom
    Woolpower 400gram union suit
    Weather Wool heavy weight pants & anorak
    Wife Made heavy wool scarf
    Carhartt duck-quilted flannel hooded jacket
    Dickie duck-insulated bib overalls
    Bass Pro heavy wool socks
    Schnee's Extreme Pac Boots with 600gram Thinsulate liner
    Stormy Kromer blaze orange Rancher cap
    One of several pairs of under performing gloves
    Charkfield Outdoors hunting muff with blanket

You would think I'd be warm with all that. I feel like the kid from A Christmas Story.

Any thoughts?

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  2. xilk123

xilk123 6 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    If you are still cold after all of that you might want to look at a heater bodysuit.

DaveO, DaveInJax, 1wildcatfan and 3 others like this.
  3. tbrothers

tbrothers 6 pointer

Aug 29, 2011
    Cecilia
    You might just want to hunt out of a blind and take a buddy heater with you. If that don’t work just stay home cause nothing else is going to keep you warm!!

Rheath, FOWLER2671, elkaholic and 3 others like this.
  4. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    If you are wearing all that and are still cold, check for a pulse. Seriously though, make sure the outer layers are loose fitting. You don't want tight fitting clothes when trying to stay warm. May get some arctic shield boot insulators as well. They will help your feet when not moving. May also want to load your pockets with hand warmers. They help a lot especially if you can get them around your kidney area. Good luck with your hunting.

PUBLIC RAT and elkaholic like this.
  5. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    600 gram thinsulate isn’t much in cold weather. If it’s a feet get cold the rest of you is cold kinda deal I’d invest in something over 1000, or heated insoles

DaveO likes this.
  6. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Mickey Mouse Boots. They’re military surplus, Amazon has them.

A pair of heavy-duty mittens might be better than under performing gloves.

In my younger years, I had a cold weather sleeping bag that I would get in once I got up in my stand. That felt dangerous, but I was warm. Sew in some suspenders.

Those disposable Hot Hands packs. Take a case of them with you and put ‘em in all your pockets.

Good luck.

Bohannon likes this.
  7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 6 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Glasgow Ky
    Your probaly sweating with all that on, therefore your getting cold. I wear long johns top and bottom, flannel shirt, joggin britches and naked north camo cover all’s and pair of wool socks and 1000 grams thinsulate rocky boots. When it’s real cold.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  8. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg 6 pointer

Jul 27, 2016
    In all seriousness you may have a circulation problem you may want to see a doc and have check out prolly got some blockage

elkaholic likes this.
  9. rme hunter

rme hunter 8 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Breckinridge County
    Don't wear all of that while you are walking to the stand. I wear as little as possible on my way in and out, once I am set I begin to add layers as needed. The biggest mistake people make is getting to hot and then sweating.

10. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Body heater suit,order it now and use it.Nothing worse then freezing to death while trying to deer hunt.

Bohannon likes this.
  11. kc4sox

kc4sox 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2014
    London Kentucky
    This is the answer you seek 420FD3D1-F319-432C-A20E-05085AB8554F.jpeg

Gnarly, jblack1, Rheath and 2 others like this.
  12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Stay home in front of fire. Drink hot coffee in onesie PJs. Watch hunting shows and kill one from the couch. Seriously that’s a lot of clothes. It hasn’t even really got cold out yet. I feel for ya! Being cold sucks!

elkaholic likes this.
  13. bigbonner

bigbonner 8 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I hunt from the ground and yes I get cold and I stay cold .I will sometime stand up and let the sun hit my back and absorbs the heat .
    I have found no complete cure for being cold but I have thought about maybe a little shot of whiskey to warm up a little but I don't drink.
    Military mittens when I ride my four wheeler to my hunting spot.

14. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Don't drink alcohol. It may feel good for a little bit, but it dialates your capillaries and you end up losing more heat to your extremities.

Guys: I've tried a bunch of things to stay warm. The best I've found is one or more handwarmer packs stuffed in the chest pocket of my bibs. That puts them right over my heart and they warm my blood so that it goes out to the extremities a little bit warmer. My bib pocket ends up being the second layer out. The first layer is a poly fleece shirt. That gives me enough protection that I don't burn my chest.

My latest addition was buying an electronic handwarmer from Amazon. It's a USB rechargeable. It puts out gobs of heat for hours and hours. I scored one on Amazon last winter for $8. They range in $ from there up to $50, depending on their output.

My son turned his friends onto the idea. He's a bagpiper, and they have to play in cold and wet, and keep their fingers nimble. A handwarmer at the breast does the trick.

15. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    Waco
    Other then a box or pop-up blind and a buddy heater I have yet to find anything that will truly keep you warm hanging from the side of a tree 4 to 5 hours in freezing temps. A heater body suit is about $300 I have seen cheaper versions on sportsman's guide but don't know anything about them.. Could try a green sleeping bag.