my two heat pumps running non-stop

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by 1wildcatfan, Feb 2, 2019.

1. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    day 4 that the heat pumps haven't shut off yet. maybe today, suppose to get up to 40. $$$$

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Heat pumps stink , they don't work efficiently below 30 even the newer ones.. mine runs for 20 min sometimes longer if it's real cold, shuts off for 5 then back on, part of my issue is my modular home has 2x4 ext walls, if I had ordered it it would have had 6" ext walls , the home was here when we bought the farm .. We just put a whole new Reem system in this summer.. The plan is to live in it a while then build. Ok off track heat pumps are just not great the way they are designed and function is not conducive to real cold temps. I would much prefer a gas furnace preferably natural gas, but in the country it's gonna be propane.

3. redjackson

redjackson 6 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Duel fuel!

mac0492 likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Mine is definitely not running as much today, I keep the temp at 68.

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Be glad you are not in the NE where most homes have fuel oil fired boilers and forced hot water baseboard heat, talk about inefficient and expensive.. The four winters we spent up in NH we spent an avg of $1000 a month just on oil from Nov thru March.

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    our t-stats stay set at 68. 62 downstairs now. my trane 16's are 5 yrs old. afraid the meter is going to blow up. while i complain now, my annual avg electric bill is $225/mth. not bad compared to some neighbors that have $500-$600 monthly bills.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    Ours has avg $150 the last three months guess I shouldn't complain.

8. ribsplitter

ribsplitter Cyber-Hunter

Jan 19, 2004
    rush, ky, USA.
    It's 78 in the house right now had to open the door and bit to cool off . Can't beat a little blood and sweat knocking down a few oak and hickory trees to keep you warm come next year.

Regulator623, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  9. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

We had our choice between a heat pump and a electric heat unit when we built this house. I told the contractor no way in heck we would go with a heat pump. Like said they are not good at all below 30 deg. I did a lot of research on both. No natural gas lines available so either propane or electric. The electric cost for heat was up there but once we install the pellet stove it went from the 4 to 5 hundred range a month for electric down to 125.00 to 150.00 range. We have about 12 bags of pellets left out of 100 now. I may have to buy another 25 bags or so depending on how long cool weather holds on. That is keeping the house at 74 + deg since Oct. At $ 165 for 50 bags I think we are doing well. Ojibwa they make pellet stove units that work in your type home. They require a outside fresh air intake but one came with my stove. Just have to run a pipe thru a outside wall. Along with a smoke vent pipe. Might want to look into that if you plan to live in the same home for very long. IDK if he is still around but there used to be a member here from over your way that worked in a factory that made pellets and he offered me all I wanted at wholesale prices but the expense of travel over that far pulling a trailer with my gas loving truck for just a couple / three ton outweighed the extra few $ I had to pay local.
    Steady and holding with no electric running
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Mine have kicked off today. I have two units as well. They ran constantly the last 3-4 days with me only having the high at 71 downstairs. I’d say they’ll gouge me big time on the next bill. Most of the year my bills aren’t that bad. During the summer we keep it nice and chilly. Maybe this is a dumb question, but why is heat so much more than air? Our run constantly during the summer too but some bills aren’t bad at all. Usually less than $120. A few winters ago when we had like two weeks in a row of really cold weather I had a bill hit $500.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You are running open short heat coils rather than a compressor for the air with any type electric heat. Think of what your cooling bill would be if you had to run a direct line to the cooling gas and it came from a outside source rather than it being held in one spot.

12. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 8 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    I have a high efficiency propane furnace downstairs, heat pump upstairs. We only use the ac side of the heat pump in the summer, sometimes I turn it on to see if its ok but never leave it on in the winter. The reason being we have a wood burning stove that basically heats the whole house. Saves a lot of propane which ain't cheap either.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 8 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Propane wall heater 30,000 that tractor supply sells for around 200 How efficient do you think it would do .I ask my wife about a pellet stove she snarled her nose, in the pellet stove do you smell the smoke. She is afraid it's going to smoke up the house

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I would die in that kind of heat. Miserable.

xbokilla and 1wildcatfan like this.
  15. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

No you do NOT smell the smoke inside unless you don't have the vent pipe sealed or open the door before cooling down for cleanup. And there is still some glowing embers in the firebox. You can melt the plastic hose to the ash vac if you still have hot embers on cleanout...Don't ask how I know...LOL.