My "truck" gun

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Littlephil, May 26, 2016.

1. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    Howdy all, I just figured I'd share some pics of one of my current work in progress rifles. It's a Russian M44 which, for those that aren't familiar, is a mosin nagant carbine. It was just a beat up old rifle that I decided to turn into a huntin rifle.

Hopefully these pics show up.
    It's nothing fancy, and I've cleaned it up a bit since the pics. But I figure it'll do for a decent little "knock about" woods rifle. If you've got any questions or comments, don't hesitate to post!
    Thanks for lookin y'all!

Attached Files:

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Thanks for sharing, how's she shoot?

3. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I've only shot it about 10 times at 25 yards so far just to get cases to reload. It still needs a rear sight and I might put a red dot on it at some point. But it didn't shoot too bad for just having the front sight. I can't wait to get a rear sight on it and try out some handloads. I'm definitely no master gunsmith, but I think it turned out pretty decent considering this is the first thing I've ever really done like this. Also the bolt handle is literally the second thing I've ever welded together. :)

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Stumpy Mosin....I like it. It's like mine but fun sized :devilish:

5. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    :devilish:Haha, I've also got the full length 91/30. Unfortunately it's got an oversized chamber. Didn't discover it till I tried chambering brass fired in it, in the M44. So I think it might get turned into a 450 marlin one day. :devilish:
    But for now I've got too many other projects to finish!

Thanks for the comment btw.

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    It's completely normal, to a point, for fired, unsized brass to not chamber in another rifle..fwiw.

7. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    In this case, the base of the cases is swelled pretty bad. I don't have a regular set of reloading dies, I've just got a Lee loader that just requires a hammer to use. It doesn't resize the bases apparently, even a resized case wouldn't fit in the M44. I also noticed that the bolt was really hard to open the last time I shot surplus through it, but it was fine with brass cased stuff.

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Yeah, it may very well have something going on. Need to find out what was causing the hard bolt lift...it may well be high pressure, which may also explain the brass issue. I'd check everything closely and get a gunsmith that has a borescope to inspect the chamber and bore. It could well be a dangerous situation, based on your description of what it's doing. Hard bolt lift is almost always due to high pressure. If the brass problem is pressure related, it's WAYYY high!

9. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Id get it checked if it's deforming cases. If your shooting the old green lacquered Russian surplus ammo from the 70's that may be all or part of the problem of the sticky bolt. The lacquer breaks down with age and when it's fired, the heat kinda glues it to the inside of the chamber. I've had to beat my bolt open with a rubber mallet after firing surplus. They gave me 300 rounds of that crap with the gun but I only use brass cases now and have never had a problem.

Something else you can do that really helps these guns is to take the bolt and trigger all apart and polish the tool marks out of all the surfaces that contact each other. Dremel with a cloth buffing wheel and automotive valve grinding compound that I already had laying around is what I used. Considering these guns were beat together by women and children using scrap tractor parts they're great shooters with a little work.

10. Littlephil

Littlephil Spike

May 15, 2016
    Coshocton, Ohio
    The last time I shot it with surplus, I shot some with the copper washed cases. The wierd part is, it never had that issue before. I thought maybe it had some cosmoline in the chamber from being heated up when it was fired before or something, but when I checked there was nothing. I fired some more brass through it after that and didn't have any problems, at least not that I could see. It was after that I discovered the brass was oversized at the bases. Needless to say, it's got corner duty in the gun room now. I'll probably look more into it once I get a rifle or two finished, but for now it'll have to keep holding up the wall. :D