My duck boat project

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    After last year of only pond hunting and having little success I’ve been on the lookout all summer for a deal. Scared to put to much $ into something being new to waterfowl. So I came across this and so far I have $320 invested. Motor runs. No leaks. Big plans for the little clunker. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. it’s 16’ and I plan on redoing everything inside and giving it some sort of blind.

upload_2018-7-24_19-27-50.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-24_19-28-11.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-24_19-28-26.jpeg

2. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Cant go wrong with that price. Watch in the off season factory made blinds can often be found cheap. But I used a homemade out of conduit scissor style blind for many years when I was young that worked fine

3. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Just keep it simple and beat the piss out of it. Use it a season and you'll know what you want for the next.
    YouTube scissor blind. Like he said ^^^. I've made a few out of conduit and they do just fine

Capttrae likes this.
  4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    One thing that will help almost as much as a blind is a handful of rattle cans and some home made stencils. Doing your own camo paint job has alway been fun for me. Just get that shiny bright stuff covered in some flat paint.

5. B.M. Barrelcooker

B.M. Barrelcooker 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    Aintry,Ky
    Build a floor out of plywood.
    Nothing fancy but it will help lots with comfort , storage , shooting.

Giveem3outdoors and Capttrae like this.
  6. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Check for flotation, You can NEVER have too much flotation!!! Quart oil jugs or gallon(Not Milk) jugs with the tops secured with tape work well.

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Check and re check for leaks. After that spend your money on the motor. That’s your top two things, after that check your stability. Install bilge pumps, make sure your nav lights work. Buy your safety equipment and then buy a little extra. Make sure your dry storage is water tight by checking the gaskets and keep an extra change of clothes in it. Then paint it and put a blind on it

8. Bowfinger

Bowfinger 8 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    In a Concrete Submarine
    First thing you need to do is address that long shaft moto on that short transom.

Then you need to go through the trailer. Bearings, tires, and a usable spare are a must.

Rip out all that wood. And anything else that isn’t a must.

Get some rubber matting from rual king. It’s sold by the role. Use that as your floor. It will insulate your feet from the cold way better than wood or metal.

Get the cheap clamp on Nav lights for situations where they are required.

Loose the seats as well. If it’s not a must have a boat gets real tight when hunting out of it.

Stay off the big O on any wind coming from the west. You can think me for this bit of info in the form of Red Man Golden Blend.

Did I mention you had a major issue with the motor height?

bondhu and Meatstick like this.
  9. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    My advice would be use it to get to where the birds are and hide it down the bank a hundred yards. Hunting from a boat sucks and hiding is 10 times harder.

FOWLER2671 and Meatstick like this.
  10. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    I use a boat for at least half of my hunts. But hunting out of it sucks. I try to find ways around it

Brsutton86 and Giveem3outdoors like this.
  11. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Holy cow definitely have to address that. May be possible to build the transom up but I'd check Ebay and such see if you could find stuff to swap it over to short shaft. It's very easy to do

12. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Thanks everyone. All very good ideas and very helpful. So far I’ve learned there is more options to this simple jon boat for hunting then there is to my actual bass boat. Never even thought of the motor height being a problem but totally makes sense.

And I’ve had tunnel vision on making it a blind boat but just using it to get to a hunting spot on the bank does sound easier. And for the trailer it’s more then likely getting replaced.

13. hunt-4-life21

hunt-4-life21 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2007
    Butler Co.
    The only thing I don't like about hunting out of a boat is shooting. It's tough to throw the blind, stand up, and shoot without the birds already bugging out. Other than that, give me a boat. I can cook bacon & eggs, while calling at ducks, and be comfortable.

Giveem3outdoors, bondhu and Capttrae like this.
  14. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

I would suggest swapping the motor for a short shaft. Sailboats owners like those small long shafts as a kicker.

Leave the SEATS IN THE BOAT! Removing flotation is how children of waterfowlers grow up as orphans.....

15. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Make your blind short enough to shoot sitting down