moved from Florida to Booneville Ky

Discussion in 'Welcome to KentuckyHunting.net!' started by submariner, Nov 6, 2017.

1. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    Gave up salt water fishing to move to Booneville Bought 107 acres and house about 15 min from town. Found about the deer kill this month. It explains the lack of deer. Looking forward to some hunting and some fishing (small mouth and musky). Plan to start a large garden and deer food plot. Since I don't have any experence with wither, any suggestions welcome ed

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Talk about culture shock

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Did you have any roots/connections in owsley county before you moved?
    I hope you stick around and look forward to your posts.

For the garden and your food plot. Get a soil test done asap. Dont wait on this or you will behind come spring. Your county extension office can be called for details but most everything you need to know will be in these links. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/agr/agr16/agr16.pdf
    https://owsley.ca.uky.edu/content/ag-natural-resources
    http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/id/id128/id128.pdf
    What kind of equipment/implements are you starting out with?

4. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    I have a 35 hp tractor , bucket, bush hog and a disc/harrow. Not sure what else I will need/ Plan is normal garden stuff plus corn, potato thanks for the info on sampling will try to get some this week

No previous connection here I was in the military and we moved around a lot. Just wanted to get some place with cooler weather and more land

carnivore, richief and Capttrae like this.
  5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    welcome to Kentucky, I'm a transplant from South Alabama to Muhleberg County, and fixin to import me a lady from Mulberry Fl.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Welcome to Booneville, I used to salt water fish too, kept a mako22 on Long Island Sound, the Connecticut side, for a lot of years. You want some company Musky fishin let me know, I live off of the #30, near travelers rest, also if i can help in any way with anything, just call on me, i mean that. I have only found a few spots to bank fish local and no musky yet. Need a boat to fish the lakes, i havent got to that yet. Be glad to meet up for coffee in town, I work my 40 hrs on Fri, Sat, and Sun, and im off all week, just let me know.

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    you may need a rotary tiller or a set of 2 bottom plows

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    From a tractor and implement perspective you're in pretty good shape. I love my 3pt tiller and a seeder spreader is nice for lime and food plots. I believe Owsley County soil tests are free but you may have to be a resident for a certain amount of time to qualify. It will still be less than 20$ if you have to pay anything. I high fence my garden to keep the deer out many people get away with no fence but I don't know how they do it.
    This should be a no-brainer but get to know your neighbors. Hopefully you can build a good relationship with them. Sharing implements save space in the barn and money too.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  9. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    thanks for the welcome and advice.plan is to get a spreader. I have already taken soil samples, just need to turn them in for analysis . Any suggestion for timing of summer and fall plots. When do you put them in and what are you planting.

Plan on a 6 ft fence topped with electric wire.

ed

10. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    I see we are pretty close to each other. Coffee in town would be nice when is a good time for you ed

11. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Hiya Ed, any weekday eve except Fri. I am either picking up my son or dropping him at 5pm. He sometimes practices right after school and done at 5, or he just starts at 5 and done about 7:30. I am on a need to know basis. But regardless of his schedule i definitely am free by the latest 8pm. You are about the only one I have seen on here, from this county, so thought it would be good to know ya. There is a quickstop type shop at the light, where schools are, was the cheapest coffee in town, new owners now but cant get too hurt. Whenever you think of it and suits you, lmk.

12. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    monday or tuesday morning sounds good Just not sure where you are talking about. ed

13. pead

pead Fawn

Jul 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Welcome! We are 30 minutes from town, about 10 minutes off Rt 11. I look forward to seeing your posts especially concerning the deer and grouse status in your neck of the woods. We are in bad shape over our way.

14. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Wow look at that, another Owsley County forum member, hiya pead, just an fyi, Havent seen a grouse since i been here, in past 3 yrs.
    Hey Ed, there is a sit down diner at the square, how bout tuesday morning 8am for coffee.

15. submariner

submariner Fawn

Nov 2, 2017
    booneville
    Tuesday sounds good. So far I have seen 3 deer in the fields during the day, no grouse. I have deer on camera most night between 10 pm and 3 am. I suspect this area was hit hard also.
    Pead Thanks for the reply You are welcome to join us for coffee. It is simply a get to know each other meeting ed