Mountain Lion/Cougar sighting in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by EC, May 14, 2018.

1. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Yes, I post this with a great understanding of the ribbing I'll be getting. But apparently, here in Middletown--Louisville, there has actually been a cougar (not two legged) sighting in my neighborhood.

KFW and animal control have been alerted--according to the neighborhood email alert system (it was first advised last Thursday of a "large mammal spotted by the running track"). All they've apparently done is put out trail cams. Big deal!

One of the neighbors snapped a picture of it on her cell phone this past Saturday wandering in her backyard and forwarded it to my wife. So I've seen a picture of it. It is pretty clear. I'm trying to get my wife to figure out how to get this on some website so I can post it here.

From the picture I've seen, it looks immature, not fully grown and approximately 80-85 lbs. Probably some kind of exotic pet that was released, escaped or who knows where it's from. I've heard or read somewhere that some in Freakafornia breed hybrids (mt. lions with some other cat) for exotic pets. And since we get a lot of people from all over the country living back here, maybe that's where this came from? But I've noticed the apparent lack of deer grazing in my backyard for the last couple of weeks. So maybe that's why? Probably no fawns this year.

I've got my .243 readied and in the kitchen...

Let the joking begin!

PS...I am serious about this thread, however. It's not a joke.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I swear, I'm gonna get my wife to transfer it to a website. I told her to do it last night and that I was gonna post here. She really needs to get the lead out!!

Marsh CallUser likes this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I’m going with my usual response. It’s definitely a cougar. No doubt in my mind.

4. Brit's and Birds

Brit's and Birds 8 pointer

Nov 24, 2008
    Oldham County
    where in Middletown was it seen at? My parents live in Middletown and I'm not that far away...

5. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I don't how I figured it out, but I got my wife to send it to my phone and thus to here. LOL

IMG_0104.JPG

6. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Owl Creek neighborhood...right off Dorsey and Ward ave.

7. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Definitely need a 50 cal for that ferocious feline!

Nock and drakeshooter like this.
  8. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Seen on the news the other day ,one of them dumb illegal’s,from South America had a tiger cub about four months old ,wrapped in a blanket ,left it behind .

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    After being able to get it on the computer and being able to zoom in better, I'm wondering if it's not a big house cat. It wouldn't surprise me of some of the snowflakes around this neighborhood to panic seeing it. But who knows?

I'm thinking maybe a .22 or a pellet gun will suffice right now. HA.

10. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    It's a big tabby cat, brother. But it is an apex predator and probably kills a lot of critters(both good and bad) in your area.

EC and drakeshooter like this.
  11. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    You gave me a good chuckle today. Thanks.

EC and drakeshooter like this.
  12. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.

These frickin' bored housewives around here...sheesh! I might just rent a gorilla suit and wander around the "running track at night" just to see what pops up in the neighborhood newsletter email. It might be fun.

13. I have a good friend who used to work in LBL and he swears he saw the old black panther cross the road in front of him. “He was 10 or 12 feet long and must have stood 4 foot tall....” I literally was laughing at him and nearly crying, but dude was having none of that and even doubled down with a “By god!” I could see he was getting mad so I just left it alone after that.

carnivore and bondhu like this.
  14. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

It does look like a big old housecat to me but could be anything. I wish some of these pictures had something to judge size by. We got a Tom that color that weighs 17 pounds and to some people that's mountain lion size, but ours has some white on him.