Mock Scrapes...

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by SteveR, Oct 3, 2017.

1. SteveR

SteveR 8 pointer

Nov 5, 2005
    When does everyone start making mock scrapes? I have a few of those mock scrape dripping bags and scent that I've never bothered to open. Thought I might give them a try this year but didn't want to jump the gun and put them out too early.

2. carbonhunter

carbonhunter 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2012
    Campbellsville ky
    I usually start to put one out when I start seing scrapes around where I hunt . I noticed 3 Sunday

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I'd do it now. People telling me they're finding lots of scrapes.

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    It's too early to set up your mock scrapes if you are expecting them to become an immediately effective hunting spot. However, you will get some occasional attention being paid to the scrape just out of their curiosity. I have had limited success hunting over or near mock scrapes but I have had great camera success immediately after setting them up on a mock scrape. Cameras on a mock scrape can be great scouting tools starting in a week or so.

5. BowHunter20

BowHunter20 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2014
    Ohio
    Anytime, they will be hard to hunt over though since most of the action will be at night, I would use them to "track" your deer by what time they are hitting the scrape and where on your farm they may be in conjunction to where you hunt (stands), if you put a camera on it. I actually found one leaving the woods on Saturday and peed in it, Sunday when I went by it, it had deer hoof prints in it that weren't there the day before.

6. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    I made 5 mock scrapes with licking branches on Sunday. I don't plan to check most of them for a week or likely two though. I put cameras near all of them. I don't necessarily plan to hunt them, but I hope to use them to get an idea of the deer that are around, where they are coming from, the time they are hitting it, etc.

7. elkaholic

elkaholic 10 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I am going to make 1 this weekend.

8. carbonhunter

carbonhunter 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2012
    Campbellsville ky
    Same here I got a dripper ready to go I'm hunting Saturday morning and on my way out I'm gonna set one up

9. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'll probably make one this weekend but historically I don't see any good bucks on it until the weekend before gun season. I'll see does and small bucks but every year I get one or two days of bucks parading through, usually around the 10th of November, then they're gone again.
    I have one decent buck who I have one picture from 2015 and two from 2016 then nothing. Hope he shows again this year.

10. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone notice a big difference in preference between tree species for deer using a licking branch above scrapes? I made several with cedars and one or two with oaks this year.

11. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Beech trees have become my favorite in the last few years.

rlb165 and SteveR like this.
  12. Rut-n-Strut

Rut-n-Strut 6 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Owen County
    Interesting. I haven't paid much attention to beech trees, so I might have to do some searching for those. I noticed two in years past. I think they were both on osage orange trees. I would have thought the thorny branches would dissuade that from happening but I suppose not.

13. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 6 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    what is a good scent dripper for a scrape. new or homemade

14. rlb165

rlb165 8 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We have one beech tree and one cedar tree that have had scrapes under them several different years. I'm not sure if it's the location, or just that both trees have branches that are the right height.

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I've gotten pretty good at posting pics but couldn't figure out video. Had a good scape video from a few years ago to fire everyone up.