Mission Kids stuck in Haiti Riots

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Jul 8, 2018.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    There. Has been enough money poured into that place in the past 100 years for everyone there to have a nice home, swimming pool, new car and new IPhone ......Oh forgot, they all have the iPhone now.

Mission groups have good intentions, but it has led to little if any progress.
    If YOU want to go, or send YOUR Child there it's OK with me but don't be surprised when it all goes to Hell in a Handbasket at any time. You are in a foreign country with little or no protection.

Central Kentucky mission group stuck in Haiti as riots ensue
    [​IMG]
    By ADAM BURNISTON |
    Posted: Sun 11:34 AM, Jul 08, 2018
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    HAITI (WKYT) - For the past several days a central Kentucky mission group has been working with children and schools, but after recent riots broke out across the county they are stuck from leaving the county.

The U.S. Embassy is now warning Americans to stay indoors while the riots take place and many flights into and out of the country have either been delayed or canceled.

It's no situation any parent wants their child to go through, but Debbie Parrish has to deal with just that as her daughter is one of the members of the mission group.

"My daughter sent me an email saying that they were burning things in the road and burning buildings and the roads were closed, so they would not be able to get to leave", says Debbie Parrish.

After receiving the email on Saturday, Debbie says concern immediately set in followed by multiple questions.

"Immediately my heart just dropped. All I could think of was oh my gosh she's stuck in a foreign country with a riot taking place. You don't know how long the riot is going to last, you don't know how safe they are, or how long they're going to have to survive through the riot."

Early Sunday morning, the group was able to make it to the airport, but then their flight got canceled.

"They had to go through several barricades, they're covered in ash and soot because of all the burning going on there."

Fortunately, the mission group has been able to book another flight, which departs Monday afternoon, but Debbie says she is just thankful the group is in a safe area.

"Hopefully they'll be safe there while they're just hanging out trying to get out and I'm just thankful their safe."

There is also growing concern in the country as Tropical Storm Beryl continues through the Carribean and moves towards Haiti

gicts, barney and drakeshooter like this.
  2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I’ll stay in the head of my little holler,never did have a desire to go to any of these places.With all the violence in the world ,the parents should have known they were taking a chance of something going wrong.Mine might go ,when they become of age ,but I would be against it.

Carl likes this.
  3. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    My nephew just got back from a medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic, which is the other half of the island of Hispanola, shared with Haiti. He'd go back tomorrow if he could, most meaningful thing he's done in his short life.

When you go to a third world crap hole to do mission work, you know what you are risking. The kids and the parents knew, or should have known, what was possible.

Carl likes this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Maybe a little Grenada mission would help. Bring our people home.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I've been in Eastern KY, specifically Johnson and Floyd counties, doing mission work, and it wasn't much above 3rd world in some of the "houses" where we worked.

Couple years was right after the tornados around West Liberty, and then the flash flooding a couple years ago that killed some folks. Both times, the natural disasters brought all the rifraff pills heads out looking for stuff to loot. Probably wasn't as bad as this, but it was spooky for a while. It's really an odd feeling when you watch people casing a place, knowing they are waiting to commit a crime. Needless to say, I learned after year one to always carry when doing gods work.

bearleft and xbokilla like this.
  6. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I've heard you can write off a foreign mission trip on you income taxes, but not a domestic trip inside the US. If it is true, it is ridiculous and wrong.

drakeshooter likes this.
  7. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 6 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Once a Shithole always a Shithole.

Smokin9mm, Carl, barney and 1 other person like this.
  8. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    my son is going to El Salvador in February with a high school group for a week of mission work. wife and i are not comfortable with it, but he just turned 18 and doesn't need the parents to sign now. that week will fly by for him and creep by for us.

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    That's not true. If it's working through or for a charitable organization like a church, or 503C, you can write off dang near everything.

Food, supplies, hotel rooms and mileage are all tax deductions. I've been writing off at least $1000 every year for the last 8 doing mission work in Johnson county.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  10. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    I have been on mission trips to Haiti and think it is a very worthwhile thing.
    Once you get out of the Capitol city of Port AuPrince the people in the rest of the country really do need help.

One thing about run of the mill Haitians is they have a work ethic that would make most Americans, even the hardest working ones, seem like slugs. Their problem is no matter how hard they work they get no traction because the government is corrupt.

The other benefit to sending our people there is to learn what true poverty is. Not poverty of stuff, but poverty of hope. Nearly every person I have ever seen come back appreciates, truly appreciates, this country as the greatest on earth.

There are also missions down there (such as VAPOR) that in the last 10 years have started a new model of local empowerment. The lead missionaries aren't white men from the USA, but are scripturallly trained locals that support schools and farms.

Don't hate on Haiti because their government is corrupt. That's sorta the pot calling the kettle black if you look at the recent examples of corruption in our government. Especially considering we were only a few electoral votes away from electing a corrupt leader.

11. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Fact

JR in KY likes this.
  12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Maybe old news.......I'm glad

13. Off topic but have a personal issue with tax deductions when it comes to tithes. Nobody is supposed to know how much you give, as Jesus commanded in Matthew 6:4. Not calling anybody out at all, as it’s none of my business, just my opinion. I briefly attended a church who kept a running tab on how much families had tithed, “normal” these days, because they filled out a little form with their tithe so they could get their deduction. Well the church ministers privately chastised some members for not anteing up enough in their opinions according to said members’ economic standing. That sickened me personally plus the entire instructions Jesus gave on the matter was ignored as far as I was concerned. It’s nobody’s business what you tithed, not the minister or the secretary or the IRS.

Carl likes this.
  14. JR in KY

JR in KY 10 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Carl, I was looking for that video but couldnt remember it. Thanks.

15. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Maybe the Clinton Foundation can do another fund raiser and collect another billion dollars for them? They'll be glad to send Haiti 50 bucks to help out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018