Mineral Sites

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by EastKYHardwoodHunter, May 7, 2018.

1. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    gonna start freshening my mineral sites this weekend and hanging cameras to leave until bow season....how anybody on here go about this??

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I started switching gears from turkey to deer about 2 weeks ago.

I have 100lbs of salt & 100lbs of trace mineral sitting in the garage right now and hopefully will put it out this coming Saturday.

Which I'll probably put at least one camera out for now and as I check stands and cut lanes...I'll hang a few more.

To also add.... seen a bunch of deer during turkey season.... including a few bucks that are on the early growth of antlers with nubs about 2 inches or so tall.

Should be a good deer season.....definitely more deer than turkey on our place.

3. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I take a shovel with me and dig about a foot down and totally flip the dirt then pour a little loose mineral on top of that and mix again, you'd be surprised how much of the mineral is still there from last year is that soaked in the soil,

4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
  5. EastKYHardwoodHunter

EastKYHardwoodHunter Fawn

Mar 4, 2018
    Beattyville
    I’ve used the same site for about 3 years now and the hole just gets bigger and bigger. Had some really nice bucks coming to it last year before EHD took them out. could of been a real season for me if that hadn’t happened but nothing I could do about that

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Trace mineral is what i put out plus been throwing a bucket of Lucky Buck in each one every year also. Most of my mineral spots I’ve been using for years. No telling how much I’ve put in those spots thru the years Always get lots of deer hitting them.

7. davers

davers 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I placed a couple of 50 pound mineral blocks, on my place, a couple weeks ago. Yesterday, four Deer were using the block I set close to my home, and was able to watch them.

inchr48 likes this.
  8. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I used about 500lb of mineral last year on one site, should last a few years, they have been tearing it up the past two weeks doe’s and bucks that are starting to grow antlers good

9. talltine429

talltine429 Fawn

Mar 17, 2017
    montgomery
    something i like to do is during august or first part of september i like to put out a trophy rock. this attracts deer and gets them coming to thtat spot and the rock should last about 2 months before it melts in the ground unless u have alot of deer licking it. but member the trophy rock doesnt have all the key minerals that deer really need for good antler growth. so come the following late march when u actually put out the good minerals such as trace or lucky buck or which ever you prefer this will help because the deer remeber that trophy rock and will start digging for the minerals. so all in all it jus helps establish a mineral site quicker.

10. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I started 2 new lucky buck sites, and refreshed one this weekend. Already hitting them.

11. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I buy 50 pounds of trace mineral and dump it out. About 6 bucks...All the other high dollar minerals you buy is nothing special. Save your money.

12. I didn't say

I didn't say Fawn

May 28, 2017
    Over here.
    Trace mineral or meat goat mineral works great. Real comparable to antler king deer mineral. Antler king is 20 bucks for 20lbs and meat goat mineral is 15 bucks for 50lbs. Look at labels of the big buck pic pretty packages minerals paying for a lot of salt.

13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Put out 3 50lb salt blocks last year and got a better response than I have out of anything. Even turkeys have pecked them.

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I’ve got 3 mineral licks on the farm and all were initiatally established with salt, red trace mineral and dical.

But the next year I had a lot going on and just bought 1-50lb white salt block & 1-50 lb red trace mineral block for each lick. The deer hit it hard and have every year since. So I’ve stuck with the blocks now for a very long time and usually put it out twice each year. Normally April and then again in late July or early August. But this year with all the rain I held off to May.. just after turkey season.

Which this year... picked up the white salt blocks for $4.59 each and the red trace for $5.49 at a local farm store here in Murray.
    DD24951E-2919-43FC-A8D9-85077A933DA5.jpeg

15. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Last year I had some Walmart swimming pool salt out. Deer were using it pretty well. I got some Redmond Minerals and put it out close to the salt. Deer pretty much abandoned the salt for the minerals.
    Redmond Mineral is the same as Trophy Rock, but cheaper.
    $10 for 50#.
    We get it at Central Farmers Supply in Greensburg.
    If you go there, they have dish cloths that your wife will love, AND cookies on Saturday mornings sometimes. Great people!

Last edited: May 17, 2018