Michigan resident looking for info on 2017 KY spring hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jem44357, Jan 17, 2017.

1. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    My Dad comes down from MI to hunt turkeys with me every year. I was born and raised in Pinconning, which is just north of Bay City. You can buy your Hunting License and Turkey permit over the counter, no application. You can purchase it online if you wish. If your buddy has access to any private ground I would try that first, like most have said on here, public land is hit pretty hard. Not saying you cant take turkeys on the WMA's, but you are going to have lots of competition most likely. I live in Breckinridge County, about 30 minutes from Yellowbank WMA. I have hunted and trapped there for years. There are good populations of turkeys there, but again, lots of company as well. Also, unless you are in the bottoms, you are going to experience some elevation. I can promise you it wont be like what you hunt in MI. I took 10 pounds off my Dad in one week of hunting just from walking up and down hills and hollers. He is 70 now, likes to sit and wait them out since he cant move like he used to. I can give you some suggestions on Yellowbank if you PM me... Spring turkey season in KY is a glorious time to be in the woods! I think you will enjoy our beautiful scenery, the hospitality and the turkey hunting. Best of luck to you!!!! Oh yeah, bring some Sawyers tick repellent!!!!!!!

2. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Sounds good! I am almost at the point of calling it good to go. Just waiting on some family issues to clear my head so I can focus on what is really important... Gobble Gobble BOOM! ;)

3. turk2di

turk2di Cyber-Hunter

Feb 25, 2003
    evansville, ind
    I second JD's directing you to LBL. Absolutely awesome place to hunt, a cant miss!

4. Randy Kusiak

Randy Kusiak Fawn

Feb 25, 2017
    Pleasant Lake, Mich.
    Hi, Another Michigander here. First post. Also a Pinconning cheese eater, lol. I haven't turkey hunted Kentucky in the last few years but I have hunted Kentucky and hunt Mich. Plenty of birds in MI, times 2 it in KY. If anyway possibe I would try the east. Like 100 miles east of Lexington or south of Ashland. There are WMA's and other area to hunt. Elk country is turkey country.

jem44357 likes this.
  5. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Well, I greased the skids with my co-worker and my boss about not taking my annual Turkey vacation in May and moving it to April to make this happen. So if life stays calm I will be taking 4 days vacation either the week of the 9th or the 16th. Both coincide with Easter and will allow me 10 days to hunt. Which week would be best? I have an opportunity to hunt a privet 40 acers with a cabin near Louisville. Also, can I use my 15" 45/410 Encore pistol?

6. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Season opens 4/15. .410 is legal but why would you want to use it?

jem44357 and bondhu like this.
  7. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    OPPs, my bad! I got a little excited as I see the possibility of this coming together this year. So it looks like It'll be the week of the 16th. The reason for the Encore pistol is because I can :). I enjoy a challenge. Also, it is easier to lug around. I have harvested them with my 12 ga., 20 ga., and my x-bow which I modified into a x-bow pistol.

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm about 99% that it's not legal to use on turkeys.

Which yes ..410 as gage / caliber is legal but it's the handgun part that restricted from being used. As only shotguns, crossbows, compounds & traditional archery methods are the only equipment allowed.

As such..... I've got a Contender and one of my favorite barrels is the 45/410. I run mostly 10"inch length barrels and with the choke tube in for 410 use it's amazingly tight pattern.

But it's only been in the last year or so that 410 handguns have been allowed for small game... specifically squirrels.

Which my Contender is a squirrel getter out to 25-30 yds with 3"inch #4's. But I'd be very hesitant to use on turkeys unless they were literally in your lap. Even with the 15"inch barrel your still loosing a lot of energy & velocity in comparison to a shotgun with longer barrel in 410.

But as I stated I'm 99% sure any handgun regardless of gage, barrel length... ect... is not legal equipment for turkeys. It's the aspect it's defined as a handgun that restricts its use. Which I'd highly suggest calling KDF&W before taking it afield.

jem44357 likes this.
  9. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    Don't waste your money on a guide for turkey in ky. Daniel Boone forest has turkey everywhere. Do a little research and freelance. If need I can point you in the right direction.

jem44357 likes this.
  10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I think he was looking for this

IMG_1309.JPG

Not this:

IMG_1308.JPG

basshunter9239 and jem44357 like this.
  11. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Thanks everyone. I will be leaveing Friday hopefully early enough to hook up with the owner of the forty acers I will be hunting so he can show me the property and touch base about his rules. When I talked to him on the phone he pretty much said come kill em no holds barred. I will have access to electric for my camper and water also. It is just off of 79 near McDaniels. Gobble Gobble BOOM!

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 10 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    Knott co
    That .410 pistol is not legal. It states a .410 shotgun, not handgun. But I may be wrong. I would confirm with a CO first. It does sound fun tho!

13. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    I will be using my Tommy Knocker. It is an Encore with a Fox ridge outfitters 20" 20ga barrel with truglo sights and thumbhole stock. I shoot hevishit 7.5. it paters kill shots at 50 but my limit is 30. My 870 will be my back up. So all good on the pistol deal. I will still call and post the response.

Thanks again everyone
    Jim