Michigan resident looking for info on 2017 KY spring hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by jem44357, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Hi,

My name is Jim I am from Michigan. I have been hunting turkeys here since 1988. I have been very successful here and am looking for something new. I tried to plan a KY hunt in the past and just never made it happen. I am having trouble locating a 2017 spring turkey hunting guide. If anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.
    So far I can tell I need a 2017 annual hunting license and turkey permit... Is this a non application deal and I can just do over the counter/online purchase good state wide for the whole hunt period?
    I have a friend who lives in Louisville so I will be hunting near there on public land... any pointers would be nice. I don't want to know where your "spot" is just a general pointer to public land areas with good populations and harvest numbers.

Thanks for your help
    Jim

2. ril7572

ril7572 Cyber-Hunter

Jul 9, 2003
    Ky..
    jem44357 likes this.
  3. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Just an fyi, most public ground near Louisville will be crawling with people on weekends and most of the first week. Good Luck.

4. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    ril7572,

Thank you. I had looked at that but had not found the harvest info. After your suggestion I dug a bit deeper and found it I assumed the 2017 was not out yet. Still in planning stage but hoping it will come together this time.

Jim

5. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    KYH5N1,

Thank You. I figured that by the one season structure. Michigan has a lottery system and private land only permits which spreads out the traffic. I normally hunt the last hunt here and focus on the last week or 2 so I will be leaning that way for the Kentucky hunt.

Jim

6. bondhu

bondhu 8 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I wish you all the luck. Hope you dont get discouraged on Ky turkeys but as already stated Louisville is our biggest city and any city folk that want to hunt will go to the closest WMA. Just a suggestion if you could camp or something Daniel Boone is the place you wanna be.

jem44357 likes this.
  7. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    Took me three seasons to get a turkey. Started in 2013, 2016 was the first year I scored.

8. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Yeah kinda the same here. I have hunted our state land since the early 80's. It's about 50 miles outside of Detroit. Deer season looks like a pumpkin patch. Our split season lottery and privet land only Turkey season makes for low pressure. Plus I hunt the last season which not many do. Most often no real pressure at all. Also I work Mids and can hunt during the week most often I have the woods to myself.

9. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Back when we first started my brother and I hunted 4 seasons before we even saw one. It was the last day of the fourth season driving back to camp to leave. The fifth season we took a trophy Tom on the last day and have been very successful since. I am mostly looking for something different... just an escape from the norm.

10. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    I live Louisville, and have a buddy that hunts Yellow Bank during deer season. He sees flocks of turkeys during the fall but has never hunted them during the spring. Yellow Bank is a bow only WMA. Next on the list for me would be Taylorsville Lake WMA. I do not know if they allow turkey hunting during the spring for either shotgun or bow.

After that it is open to how far you wanna drive. I cant hunt help you research a certain wma but I can't pin point one.

jem44357 likes this.
  11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Just a suggestion... but I'd take a look at the Land Between the Lakes (LBL) recreation area. There are portions in Ky & Tennessee... lots of land to hunt totaling 170,000 acres.

Just need to purchase a LBL Hunter Use Permit in conjunction with state NR license & spring turkey permit to hunt the Ky portion. The LBL Permit is around $25 but gives you a bunch of ground to hunt.

They have quota hunts but they also have an open non-quota season.... April 17th through April 30th for 2017. Which I'd suggest hunting through the week and you will have most places to yourself. As weekends get a lot of pressure.

The only drawback on the LBL Ky portion is your limited to one tom. So filling the second tag will have to be done elsewhere .. such as KDF&W WMA.

Turkey populations at LBL are good.. deer not so much. But take one morning to listen and locate .. you will be set. Which LBL is some pretty vast stretches of timber.. it's no lay up to bag a tom. But for public ground I'd put it against any WMA in the state.

Below is a few links concerning LBL.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/...4/02/2017TurkeyHuntingFactSheet_FINAL_WEB.pdf

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/outdoor-rec/hunting/rules/

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/visit/maps/

jem44357 likes this.
  12. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Is the "bow only" cross bow also?

13. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Thank you the links will keep me busy for a while.

14. jem44357

jem44357 Fawn

Apr 12, 2012
    Mi.
    Thank you everyone for the info. The beginning of next week I should know if this looks like I can make it happen this year. I tried a couple of years ago and had to abort the quest.

15. KyHillyBilly

KyHillyBilly 6 pointer

Nov 25, 2013
    Hopefully it will happen for you!