Mathews halon 6

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by Mr5shooter, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Mr5shooter

Mr5shooter Fawn

Mar 6, 2013
    I have shot it all summer and harvested a doe sat with it so now I will give it my review in case anyone is interested in owning one. When I first got the bow I liked it but was not totally convinced, but I set it up paper and walk back tuned shot a bare shaft and with little effort compared to other bows I have owned the thing was shooting darts. 28.5 inch draw 70 pounds and a 402 grain arrow shooting 306 fps with loop kisser button peep and monkey tails on the string. I shot a chillr last season and like the halon much better personally. Very solid back wall and the most forgiving sub 7in brace dual/hybrid cam I have shot. The draw cycle is very smooth for such an aggressive cam system and with the 85% rock mods is very easy to hold on target without muscle fatigue. I am shooting a one pin viper slider sight have it lockdown an inch high at 20 yards an two inches low at 40. For the places I hunt no need to move the pin. This gives me great confidence when hunting 40 yards is as far as I feel comfortable shooting at game in the right situation I have taken a few farther but don't really like to so I am more than pleased with this setup. I actually own two of them now one for 3-d and on for hunting and feel this is the best bow Mathews has made since the z7 and also the best double cam I have owned tuned shot or hunted with and I have owned them all. Lots of options out there and plenty great bows but I truly feel the halon 6 is as good of a hunting bow that has been made to this point. The down side I can see for some is its a heavier bow compared to allot of what's on the market I have always found a heavy setup more forgiving but I know allot of hunters like light bows for good reason. The other down side to this bow and pretty much all others to me is the price. I guess archery manufacturers think all bowhunters are willing to and have plenty cash to burn I am fortunate to have a dealer who takes trade and is very fair to deal with so I can play with the new stuff. I have a z3 on the way now to replace my old z7 which I regret letting go and will do a review on it since it is at a more reasonable price point. Hope this helps anyone interested and best of luck to all this season

2. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    How are you shooting 306 with a Halon 6 and all that weight on the string? I calculated and came up with 291 fps give or take with 85% mods. You must have got a really fast one. My 5 is barely faster than that.

3. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I have the Halon 6 as well and I'm really enjoying it. Its very smooth and easy to draw and very little vibration. I came from an Obsession bow and its taking me a while to get used to the Halons short valley. The Obsession almost had to push it to let it down. The Halon is a little jumpy but I'm getting the feel for it now. I don't know what speed I'm shooting and don't care. Its fast enough is all I know.

Georgia Transplant likes this.
  4. PHILIPRILEY16

PHILIPRILEY16 6 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Just about bought a halon but decided that the z7 I have is still a great bow and I am use to it after having it for 3 or 4 years but after I see what comes out this year I may try and buy another one and set up for another choice to take. I usually have 2 bows but always end up back with the trusty z7 anyways.

5. Mr5shooter

Mr5shooter Fawn

Mar 6, 2013
    My bow has 85 mods but on scale they come out to 80 percent not 85 and my chrono may be off alittle to it is one of the ones you put in ur stabilizer bushing

6. Uscnoklahoma

Uscnoklahoma 6 pointer

Nov 12, 2013
    SC
    I guess I need to check mine as well...didn't even think too. I have an aftermarket string so it might have changed as well. I am really beginning to dig this Halon. I have been about as anti Mathews as you can be but they finally brought me over this year....lol

7. C.O.D.

C.O.D. 8 pointer

May 11, 2005
    Lex, KY
  8. C.O.D.

C.O.D. 8 pointer

May 11, 2005
    Lex, KY
    what about the creed

9. supergoat80

supergoat80 8 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I got one of these last week. Loved it when I test shot it. I have only shot 15 arrows out of it since I got it home. I'm not impressed with it since I got it home. I'll have to wait and see if I come around to it.

10. mac0492

mac0492 Fawn

Oct 15, 2013
    I was planning to get a Halon 6 this year as well but ended up getting a good deal on a 5. I'm no pro either but this thing rocks. It puts my Z7xtreme to shame

11. Georgia Transplant

Georgia Transplant 10 pointer

May 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I just bought my son and my self a halon 6. My son had a bear apprentice 2 since he was 9 yr old but I decided he needed a real bow so, I got him one for his 13th birthday. I shot one while at the shop for him and was blown away by how steady it held on target so I bought one for myself too. I've been shooting the helium since 2012 and its now my back up bow.

12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Well I just sold my Creed XS yesterday so I will be shooting the Halon and whatever I can get my hands on between now and mid summer. Unless something just pushes me away from the Halon I dont see myself buying anything but mathews. I have been shooting mathews bows since the Outback/Switchback days. Both great bows by the way. An mathews always seems to impress me every year with there new product. Plus the resell value on the Mathews bows are second to none. I can usually buy a new bow. Hunt with it a couple of seasons and then sell it for about 80 percent of what it cost new.

Georgia Transplant likes this.