Mailbox wreck...

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by westkybanded, Dec 28, 2009.

1. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Mom woke up this morning to find her brick mailbox knocked completely over in the night and a bunch of brake light pieces scattered around. I'm imagining a drunk living in the neighborhood was coming home from the game last night and lost the rear end coming through the curve.

If anyone has a good idea how to (safely) tip this thing back up without renting a front end loader, let's hear it!

2. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You may be able to drive some 4 ft 2 x 4's like building a cage on three sides to keep it from tipping over on the side or to far foward then with a strap or chain wrapped around it near the top then hooked to a truck slowly pull it into a upright position

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. AteUp

AteUp 12 pointer

Mar 14, 2004
    Luavul
    Somebody needs to check Gillispie's Mercedes for front end damage.

4. Salty

Salty 8 pointer

Mar 21, 2002
    Winchester, KY
    My neighors brick mailbox was knocked over a while back. He called a wrecker and the driver had it set up in place in about 10 minutes. I think it cost $25.00 which is about the standard wrecker call around here.

5. DoubleDrop

DoubleDrop 6 pointer

Nov 1, 2007
    Lebanon, Ky.
    Best thing to do is get rid of it. They are dangerous and have killed many a driver when hit in an accident.

6. Docknboatlift

Docknboatlift 8 pointer

Mar 24, 2004
    Louisville
    Name one.

Interesting how it only kills the driver and never a passenger.

7. 7mmx2

7mmx2 12 pointer

Nov 8, 2007
    KY
    Last time I checked they look really nice and they are in your yard and not on the road so stay on the road.

The wrecker sounds like a safe bet.

8. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 10 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County
    FYI if it happens to be on the highway right of way and an accident happens and someone gets hurt or killed the property owner can be held partially responsible.This goes for about anything--vehicle parked there,building,etc.I would find out the width of the r-o-w along that road and measure the distance and try to keep anything that could hurt someone out of that area.Remember we live in a litigating society today.There should be a clear zone of so many feet depending on the speed allowed on the road.As a rule most rural state highways have a 30 ft. right of way but that can vary depending on when the road was built.A
    few will have less.Best check with someone to be safe.

9. Regulator623

Regulator623 10 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    I was talking to a guy who works in a heavy equipment repair shop about this very same subject a while back. He was having trouble with drunks and kids running off the road and knocking down his mailbox. After about the fourth time, he welded one up using angle iron and steel pipe and set it in concrete. A couple of months later, a drunk woke him up in the middle of the night knocking at his door wanting to use the phone, he had ran off the road and hit the box causing his car to turn over on its top. After that, he didn't have anymore problems.:D

10. wcpickens

wcpickens 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2003
    Grand Rivers
    The earlier post is right about the homeowner being responsible. And almost everyone's along the highway, is on the right-away.

11. Davidlondon4

Davidlondon4 10 pointer

Dec 2, 2004
    Laurel County

I need to further clarify this.If the ADJOINING property owner has an object built,parked,or placed on highway right of way and an accident happens that property owner could possibly be held partly responsible for damage or injuries to others.The state could also be at fault for allowing that object to remain there without having the property owner remove it.Lots of instances statewide especially in rural areas of objects on state r-o-w.

12. jeff

jeff 8 pointer

Dec 15, 2004
    E-Town ky
    And you will stop getting Bills in the mail 2.:D

13. brickmaster1248

brickmaster1248 6 pointer

Nov 21, 2007
    Kentucky

Arent you the guy I helped with the mailbox door replaacement awhile back?

14. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Yup. The idea of getting rid of this thing is sounding better all the time!

15. come a long and a chain, that way you can move it slowly.