Made honey bbq meat sticks (venison/beef/pork) this weekend...

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by Lady Hunter, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    OMG... they turned out AMAZING!!! We'll be making another batch in a few weeks!!!!

Used our little old grinder since it was just going to be a small batch. HUGE mistake! It took FOREVER... Next time, we'll haul out the big boy for sure...

[​IMG]

Stuffing the casings....

[​IMG]

Ready for the smoker....

[​IMG]

PERFECTION!!!!!

[​IMG]
    As you can see, we added high temp provolone cheese....

All packed & ready for the freezer!
    [​IMG]

drakeshooter, Gooch, pentail and 2 others like this.
  2. 1sttop

1sttop 6 pointer

Jun 29, 2007
    Flaherty, KY
    How long do you smoke them and at what temp?

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Recipe and instructions Please .
    Those look great !!

4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    I get the seasoning mix from Owens BBQ (owensbbq.com) and here's a link to all the instructions: http://owensbbq.com/uploads/3/4/4/7/34472207/honey_bbq_sticks.docx
    Only thing we did different was the meat mix... We used 2# venison, 2# ground beef (80/20), and 2# ground pork butt.

We did a 6# test batch & mixed in about half a pound of high temp provolone.

We'll definitely be making another batch sometime soon! I'm betting when "the kid" comes in from college the next time & gets a taste, they're gonna disappear quickly!!

5. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    what size casing did you use?

6. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Crud. It's not indicated on the bag.... but they're the collagen casings Cabela's sells for snack sticks/link sausages. UPDATE: I thought they were Cabela's brand but looking online, the packaging was most likely from LEM.... Maybe 19mm or 21mm???

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Roger that. i just finished some today and will likely utilize them as dog treats. I used 13 lbs of meat and 10 lbs equivalent of seasoning. I added jalapeƱos like i always do. They taste like water. Obviously not enough seasoning and too much meat. This is the first batch failure I've had on these. I am pretty aggravated over the whole thing.

8. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Those look good, Lady Hunter!

9. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Bummer!!!! I'd be pretty aggravated too. Could you maybe chop them up to use in omelets? It'd be protein & an occasional jalapeno... Might be better than giving 'em up as dog treats at least.

10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Ladyhunter they are pretty inedible. I think between the dog and the chickens they will be going to as good a use as they are worthy. I will be back in the saddle again this weekend for another round!