Looking For Someone To Thin Coyotes Out On My Farm

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Glenn Pennington, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Glenn Pennington

Glenn Pennington Fawn

Aug 20, 2018
    Pendleton County,Ky
    I have 140 acres in Southern Pendleton County,Ky surrounded by larger woods on each side and looking for someone to hunt coyotes here,they are getting too thick and too brave,stalking deer in my backyard at feeders.I'm the 1st blacktop road on the right coming north on US Hwy 27 out of Harrison County. Kill enough and I might offer a person a deeer hunt,we have several large bucks in the area.
    [​IMG]

HeadedWest and carnivore like this.
  2. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I'm interested I live in in falmouth. Send me a personal message and I will give you my number. Been coyote hunting for 30 yrs can give references.

3. I too could be persuaded once it gets colder out. I mainly only hunt em in the winter after deer season has wound down. I am an experienced, safe hunter (former national range safety officer) who will respect you and your land. Been hunting for 50ys (Yeah, I am old as dirt). I don't have time to hunt a lot and am not interested in a deer hunt. Got several good places to hunt deer. Might ask to hunt squirrels if you would allow it. PM me if you want me to come over and I will send you name and contact info. The yotes are overrunning KY and surrounding states. The WV farm where we deer hunt is covered with them. We are trying to thin them out but it is tough. They multiply like rabbits.

Glenn Pennington likes this.
  4. Glenn Pennington

Glenn Pennington Fawn

Aug 20, 2018
    Pendleton County,Ky
    I already invited riverboss,but as far as I'm concerned you are welcome to come this winter as long as Dan (riverboss) has no objections,since he asked first. I'm about 1-1/2 hours from Morehead,my youngest is in college there ,so I travel it once in awhile.I can get access to neighboring farms as well,the coyotes are getting thicker than I've ever seen them here in the past 20 years.Not many squirrel hunters anymore,I grew up squirrel hunting,but only kill a mess once in awhile,you can kill your daily limit in about 15 minutes here.

5. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Mr. Pennington it's none of my business but have you thought about finding a trapper to help you with your coyote problem? Traps can be waiting on the coyotes 24/7.

dirthole and T-wil69 like this.
  6. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Mike is right I would look around for trappers in your area also unless you have cats and dogs running around , a good trapper can catch more yote’s in a week than you can call in a year

dirthole likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    It's being taking care of and not cool to try and push others off. That's what's wrong with hunting anymore! No one seems to have any morals.

8. Glenn Pennington

Glenn Pennington Fawn

Aug 20, 2018
    Pendleton County,Ky
    We watched two adult coyotes chasing a cat last night, they came out of the hollow you were set up in riverboss,they seem to move in here at dusk in the evening

riverboss likes this.
  9. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    Riverboss, up until two years ago 4 of the properties I trapped also had people calling and hunting coyotes on them. It was never a problem, not one time. The object for everyone was to reduce the coyote and bobcat population. When they made a kill I was happy for them. When I made a catch they were happy for me. Wasn't trying to push anyone off.

Dark Cloud and dirthole like this.
  10. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    4F375DAE-0800-44F3-943E-42B1F805DE99.jpeg 57F22506-8A38-4669-8B1C-C0598E145F68.jpeg
    I agree. I love to call coyotes in with a call but after I started trapping that’s the only way to go if you wanna take them out in numbers. RIVER BOSS I know you have this guys farm to call on already but if you’ve never tried trapping give it a shot I believe you would like it. Plus no one is trying to root you out they was just trying to say trapping is a lot more effective way to take coyotes out in larger numbers.Here’s a couple pics of ONE night catches.

11. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    I agree with riverboss, not cool to recommend a trapper when he's already got permission to hunt it. That's between him and Glenn. As a predator hunter I wouldn't like it if I got permission to hunt a farm and then other people were recommending trappers. HOWEVER that's the landowner's right if they want both.
    Trapping is hands down the most effective means of predator control, but nothing compares to calling in a coyote, fox, bobcat or coon IMHO.

carnivore and riverboss like this.
  12. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    The skill set to call and consistently kill predators is a art!

13. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    I wasn’t trying to push anyone off I was just agreeing with mike, he obviously wants them gone and I know hunting them is a lot of fun and it’s nice to pick up a new place to hunt but I was just stating the more effective way to remove them, no reason why you couldn’t hunt and someone have traps set, sorry if I came across the wrong way

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Dark Cloud and elkaholic like this.
  14. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    You can trap them on my farm in northern Pendleton county this year.

Dark Cloud likes this.
  15. Thx Glenn. Let me know next time you are coming to Morehead and the wife and I will meet you at Pop's for some BBQ. We can discuss the rest after that. We live close to Cave Run Lake on the River. We'll let Riverboss have the first crack at em. I don't want to horn in on his efforts. If it is like most of the state, there is no shortage of em, lol. I am gonna PM you with my contact info.

Irish