Lloyd WMA

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rick in NKY, May 15, 2017.

1. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016
    I had posted awhile back regarding hunting in the Independence area and recently just went to the Curtis Gates Lloyd WMA this weekend to see the layout. I was pleasantly surprised with the acreage, as well as the set up. I was wondering if anyone on here knew how much pressure it tends to get? I missed getting there for Turkey season but am interested in other upcoming seasons. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    It gets a lot of pressure. The vast amount of flat, easy to walk fields make accessing the thick stuff where the deer are easy. I hunted there a lot a few years ago, and you just have to get as far away from the fields as possible. Which of course, makes it hard to silently get into a stand, and a real bear to drag out a deer. Last one I drug out took me 3 hours.

Keep in mind it not just deer hunting either. A lot of small game hunting goes on too.

I still hunt there once or twice a year just for a change of scenery.

3. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016
    Iceman35,

Thanks for the heads up! I thought it would get a lot of traffic for Deer. I'm going to try to hit it for Spring Squirrel this year. Any idea on Dove hunting there? I've really struggled to find areas around here for it other than private land. Do they plant sunflowers or millet? Also do you have any info on Mullins? I drove over there and it only looked as if there are two pull offs. I didn't know how much pressure that tends to get. Any info would be helpful. Thanks again!

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    They did plant a few fields for doves a few years ago. I'm sure they still do. It was the first two fields on the right past the gate. I believe they don't allow dove hunting until noon, I'm guessing so deer hunters as dove hunters aren't mixing.

Don't know much about Mullins. Walked through once and decided it was too small for me to bother with. They opened up both WMA's to the rifle season last year, which, IMO, is dangerous.

5. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Lloyd WMA gets the most pressure of the local WMAs, but you can still easily pull a few deer off of it every year. Just be careful over there, I prefer evening hunts there since you can see walking in to your location with the possibility of others being in the same area (USE THE LOCATION MAGNET BOARD PLEASE!). Mullins is where I'm going to hit hard this year instead of Lloyds, however Adair is probably the best local WMA and also has the least amount of pressure. The only problem with Adair is the one access point at the top of the hill, so dragging out your deer is a bear. I have met people there who drive from out of state every year to take a couple deer out of there and usually tag out within a couple days! If you're not scared of a bit of a drive, take a trip down to the new Veteran's Memorial WMA off the Sadieville exit; it looks awesome! I plan to spend a few weekends there this upcoming season also. Here in NKY is an awesome place to be with a lot of WMAs available to us.

6. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for all of the information! I plan on trying to do some deer hunting, as well as turkey at some of these places, but I really want to hit small game as well. Any information regarding that on either of the other places you mentioned? I'm trying to find some availability for doves on these lands as well.

7. jfiscus

jfiscus 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2013
    Kenton County
    Lloyd does a great dove program, but you will be amazed at how many people turn out to hunt there during season; there are literally people every 20 ft some days. Small game are abundant on all the WMAs, but I do not hunt them there so I am not 100% on the regulations.

Show up to a meeting of the KY 5th district (free meeting and meal) http://www.kyfifthdistrict.org/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=eventlist&Itemid=19 and ask the officers there everything you ever want to know. They are more than glad to help you and answer your questions. All of the local hunting clubs usually have members there so you can also possibly find out about them and join them too.

8. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for this information!

9. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    If looking for a PUBLIC dove field...Griffith's Woods WMA is about 12 miles east of Georgetown on US62 near Cynthiana...I spent an afternoon there last year...it has a large planted field for doves...and it was an experience...large numbers of doves and a LOT of hunters (some had their family out there with a blanket and bucket of KFC--eat chicken--shoot at a dove)...

I must admit that I gave up after my third dove...every one I shot was also shot by at least three other hunters...but everyone seemed to be having a good time...

10. Rick in NKY

Rick in NKY Fawn

Nov 1, 2016

Thanks for the information!