Let’s talk about Cabelas..

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wampuscat, May 15, 2018.

1. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    bought a pair of quality Cabelas brand binocs with a lifetime warranty.

(DO NOT START IN ABOUT SWAROVSKI, ETC, BRANDS BEING BETTER, another thread, another day)

The binos eye piece broke. Took them back, the girl at the counter said to go check out new ones while she figured it out. I did so, and looked at a similar model. Asked the kid what kind of warranty they had. “Lifetime warranty sir”. Great.

Went back up front where the manager, I assume, he looked the part yet never introduced himself, and there was a group of employees all doing nothing but talking about my binocs. He told me they are not warrantied. That “lifetime” is two years... they wear out like a pair of shoes...so binocs are only supposed to last two years?? These aren’t shoes. I told him the kid at the counter just told me they are life time. He said not really...maybe call the 800 number...got me seeing red.

Since bass pro bought them neither store seems to give a rats a$$ about customers or products. F that place I’m done.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Didn't you call customer service???

Anytime I'm dealing with warranty I do not go to the store but call customer services. Never yet been turned down. Also I never tried to get something though that was not life time. Your binos are lifetime so they SHOULD go though. Store employees really only deal with the general public and not warranty work. Give them a call and see if you get better treatment.

3. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    I have never had that happen. They typically apologize, throw them in a junk pile and say go get another one. Which cabelas were you at?

Come to think of it I asked prior to purchasing a pair of rubber boots how the lifetime warranty worked. The manager said within reason they would replace with same or simmiliar model at no cost to me if the boots ever failed. I asked what if they wore through after ten years? He said bring em back. Went through several real world what ifs and every time he said bring em back. Then said if you run over them with your lawn mower that’s on you but short of that during normal outdoor pursuits and they fail or are no longer water proof we will replace them.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have never had a problem with them. Just this year the week before going to Ky lake in April. I bought a new Depth Fish finder and put it on my boat. Got down there first day of fishing it wouldn't work. My buddy had the same one. Took his put on my mount it worked. I call customer service and told them what was going on. NO PROBLEM just take it back to store where I bought it. Problem I'm in western Ky bought it in Lexington. They called Bowling Green store. 2 hour drive there 2 hour drive back. Took it there they had one waiting for me at customer service desk. Put it on boat worked great.

5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I love the marketing strategy of advertising a “lifetime warranty”....but that’s only for the “lifetime” that they determine is sufficient for the product.

Wampuscat likes this.
  6. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Man I wouldn’t sweat it. I’d call 1800 number and tell them your issue. I’m guessing they will make it right. That manager didn’t know what he was talking about. Surprisingly, many of them don’t know squat about the outdoors or the products they sell.

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 10 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Most lifetime warranties I’ve dealed with ,is usually as long as you’re the original owner.

8. HeadedWest

HeadedWest Spike

Nov 22, 2016
    It's a sham.

Took my waders back this spring because they were leaking at the seams...they said they weren't sure, went and asked the GM, he said they don't do waders anymore...I went back to the waders and pulled a "lifetime warranty" tag off their demo and asked him his interpretation...he flipped and said to swap them....they then charged 80$ because the "model" I had were sold at a cheaper price one time and I had to make up the difference. They were the same damn thing.

I paid the 80$ and swore them off for good. I'll give someone else my money.

9. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    I didn’t bother with an 800 number.
    ill try it. If I wanted to do biz online I probably would have gone another way than Cabelas to begin with. I appreciate the info. This is the Louisville store. Wonder how long “lifetime” warranty has been arbitrary?

EdLongshanks likes this.
  10. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    If you keep your original receipt they will swap out even.

HeadedWest likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I’d first go the route of sending an email. Most companies nowadays have measurable objectives based on how quick they answer customer complaints. Likewise, you can leave a pretty good paper trail to back yourself up if needed. I guarantee they have someone that is responsible for answering customer complaints within 24 hours.

With big outfits emails seems to work better. Smaller places seems to utilize the phone more. Then follow up with a phone call if needed. Just my thoughts.

drakeshooter likes this.
  12. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    What brand?

13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Shoulda bought Zeiss.binos.:p:mad:

JR PORTER likes this.
  14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Let us know what they say. My future business depends on how they treat you. If it goes badly Let them know you will be posting your experience with thier lifetime warranty on several social media sites.

15. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Wildcat is absolutely right, call customer service, I know for a fact that the manager of the BG store doesnt have a clue. Argued with me on something when I had a sale paper and an e-mail, saying “nobody told me”. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong. Always had luck calling customer service.

Last edited: May 17, 2018