Laural River Lake trout fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by kstonich, Aug 21, 2018.

1. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Any info on how the trout fishing is doing I haven't fished all year been working out of the area and just want a relaxing trip 9/7- 9/8 . I enjoy trolling as a way to relax. I've only tried trolling Laural once with some success, I have down riggers on the boat so depth is not an issue. I figured when it got dark I would find some deep water anchor and fish under the lights. I tried last year around Grove with limited results. From what I've read that when we have very raining years they release so much water that it causes a reduction in the dissolved oxygen levels at the depths the trout stay due to tempurature causing high levels of stress in the trout. Not sure how the night time is going this year but I see that they were scheduled to stock 45k trout in January so hopefully some made it.

2. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Been years since I have made the trip but...We use to go down and fish walleye and smallmouth.And once we had our limit of walleye we would float up by dam dusk into dark, right of the discharge maybe 50-100 yards out. Spinning medium -light rig,#4 aberdeen bronze hook, small split shot 12"-18" above hook no swivel. We would thread 3 loops of the head of a nightcrawler on hook and leave tall long and waving.From real to first eye count rig straight down and fish different depths until we found fish. Rainie summer 10-18 feet dry summer 18-30. Trout will start at tail and you will feel him eat his way to the hook ,fish on. It was always a bonus before the 3 hour ride home to have a limit of trout in about an hour

3. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot. You mention limiting out on walleye, I caught one by accident trolling there along time ago. Do you have any advice for walleye fishing there, that was one of the tastiest fish I've ever eaten.

4. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    We were meat hunters so we would troll diving Rapalas, 2 different colors blue/white belly and black/white belly. I think one had a bill for 10-15' depth and the others were 15-20+. We trolled these out each side until we caught a fish. Then we would follow the contour of the lake to stay in that thermocline. We would do this when the walleye bite was on Cumberland under the lights, usually in June or July. Good Luck.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    J-Town
    Back when I was in college, we'd go out at night and tie right up on the water intake tower at the dam with the lights on it. We'd catch a trout pretty much every cast that way.

6. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, after I posted this my trip was canceled now its back on again :). I just hope the weather cooperates. So is allot of the boat traffic diminished after this long weekend. I sure hope so. It would be nice to go on the weekend for a change.

7. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Well at least the weather was nice. Went Thursday after work got there just before dark. Talked with the girl at the counter at Holly she said one of the guys at night goes straight out and towards the island and anchors in deep water and usually does good under lights. Well not so much for me . I caught 2 trout from 10-1am. Called it a night. Started trolling the next day saw fish on the finder at 10-12ft and random fish at 35-40 ft. So I trolled at different depths for nothing. If it wasn't for the fact I was targeting trout I would have called it a good day. I caught bass all day long. They were schooling minnows to the surface throughout the lake as I was trolling when I came across a school I would cast and caught 1-2 from each school. I probably caught a at least couple dozen fish. Small mouth ,large mouth and spots and a couple of big bluegill. Id never seen bluegill out in open water before but these were large 12"-13" gills.
    This lake still drives me nuts I've never been anywhere where there are so many fish on the fish finder and nothing bits all day no matter what I try big, small different colors, even trolling night crawlers. Deep water shallow water. I'll be back I going to figure this place out.

xbokilla, bondhu and carnivore like this.
  8. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    OK once again I went down with the hopes of catching some trout, this time I anchored at night near the dam . Not one bite, I scooped up some shad used those, used night crawlers, corn, power bait corn, tried depths from 15 to 50 ft under the lights. Fished till 1am. Nothing not one bite but the depth finder was lite up with bait and fish. That lake has so much bait right now its ridiculous Lots of 2-2 1/2 shad they are everywhere. So in the morning I stated trolling white roostertails 18fow, I caught so many bass (20+). I was hooking doubles and these were not small fish. They were 1 1/2 -3lb spots. On 6lb test it was kind of fun. Then a couple of pleasure boats decided to do circles around me to watch me fish ( thanks) and that sent the school scattering. I moved and started trolling different lures at different depths trying to find a just single trout with not luck still more bass. Went and took a break swam ate and got back at it around 330. Put away the down riggers and put on a couple of big deep diving crank baits in a shad pattern. Trolled in 25-40ft of water. Caught 6 more nice fish ( to me) these were 3-4lbs each. The fish came off of points with shallow water ( moving boat out to stay in the 25ft to 30ft depth) towards the main lake. I caught all the fish on one pole using a Gizz 4 bait which unfortunately I think they quit making. You could probably Goggle up a picture and match it to something on the marked.
    I would assume that you could back off these points and cast a deep crank baits and have similar results. With all the bait its no surprise that the fish are gorging on shad that this lure worked so well.
    Everyone I talk to says there are lots of trout in this lake but not for me. I'll be back I'll eventually crack the code.

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    sounds like you had a good fishing trip minus the trout you were after.

10. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    For trout we stayed away from the lights out in dark water. We parked boat looking at 1193 that runs across dam 12 o'clock North , discharge would be 10 o'clock NW 50-75 yards away and the point would be 4 o'clock SE 100- 150 yards I think.

11. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Yah way to much light where I was at, the schools of shad all over the top of water looked as though they glowed, looked really cool. Don't know when I will go next but the way the water temps are, there still might be night trips available in the next month.

12. kstonich

kstonich Fawn

Jun 7, 2011
    Yah I caught allot of fish and I'am not complaining. If had gone bass fishing ( not trolling) it would have been my better summer fishing trips. Not the biggest bass just qualityand there sure were allot of them.

13. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    you know what would have happened if you were there targeting bass..........no bass and trout galore. :)