Lake Michigan charter trip

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Iceman35, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    IMG_1700.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1704.JPG Had a guys weekend at my friends newly acquired lake house just south of Kenosha, WI last weekend. As part of it, we took two boats out on a 5 hour charter. Took a while to find the right depth for the fish, but didn't do too bad considering it's getting later in the season. Mostly Lake trout, a few Rainbows, 1 Steelehead and dandy King Salmon that weighed in at 32 pounds. Funny part was, the smallest guy of the group, who'd only been fishing twice before in his life, reeeled in the King. Took him 30 minutes as it was on 500 foot of line with a planer board. We grilled what we could that night and we still walked away with 15 lbs or so a piece.

Nock and bondhu like this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Nice haul! Looks like a great day of fishing.

3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    That looks like a lot of fun. Assuming you tasted all of them, how would you rank those fish?

4. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Only gotten to the Lake Trout and Rainbow so far. Got a slab of the King in the Freezer for next weekend. Rainbow's taste pretty good. A little salt, pepper, Tyme and lemon and its great. Laker's are a little bland, but we only broiled them with veggies. I'd guess if you smoked them, or spiced them up with Cajun spices and they'd be darn good. I've got a few slabs of them to experiment on.

The Laker's fight like Catfish. Just try and out muscle you with no finesse.

5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    I have a couple freinds up there and an open invitation. You reminded me I need to take them up on it.

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

J-Plug.jpg Those King (Chinook) salmon are like hooking onto a truck and can strip a reel in a heartbeat. Been a long time since I caught one of those black mouth things. Loved the summer run Steelhead best, another reel stripper and like to get airborn with some impressive jumps. This is about the best time of year to fish for them. I lived a stones throw from one of the main salmon streams (salt creek) in Indiana and caught a lot of them over the years. Largest ever Chinook went 32 lb and was the state record for about 15 minutes they said....LOL. Took over a hour to get it to the boat and landed. Edit....that was on 12 lb test mono with a loose drag. Lure was a hot pink and white J-Plug ( see picture above) One of them just different color combo. They were made for that type fish, hooks were on a line that went thru a hole in the body. Lure had a cupped face that made it dart side to side and a pointed rear end. When a fish hit the lure would pop out of it's mouth leaving only a double set of treble hook behind. The lure would travel up the line loose, whoever came up with that design was smart. Lure was only for trolling on downriggers or a heavy Keel sinker, to light to cast being hollow

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  7. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    congrats on the fishing

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Looks like y’all had a good day of it

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    First thing the King did when my buddy grabbed the rod was spool off another 50 feet or so. He was flat beat by the time it got into the boat.

carnivore likes this.
  10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Nice trip!