Kids too damn young

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Mainbeam, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Im prolly gonna step on some toes with this one but i dont care. If your kid cant hold the gun and look through the scope then stay at home and do what small children do. I saw a facebook post where the gun was in this big ol vise thing and the scope had a damn iphone attached to it so the phone screen showed the crosshairs. Are you kiddin me. The kid looked at the phone and pulled the trigger. Im sorry but that just bugged the crap out of me. Theresso much more to it then that but lets just skip all the other stuff and just kill something.

2. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N.O.T.W
    I agree for the most part, I do think there is an age that is too young.. Many kids can't even Begin to comprehend what they are doing. It's not a game you are killing a living breathing creature.

JR PORTER likes this.
  3. Everything is a video game these days.

4. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

That's one of the reasons I don't really care for the "allow crossbows for kids because they can't bow hunt" movement. Is everything instant gratification? We carried a stick on rabbit hunts until we were allowed to hunt with a gun. We had to beat the brush and play dog. Let the kids do push ups and work out if they want to bow hunt instead of giving a 5 year old a crossbow.
    Kids don't have to work for hardly anything these days....that includes mine on some topics. I made things too easy thinking I was doing them a favor. I really wasn't.

5. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 8 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    So..is a gun rest...such as a caldwell field pod against your criteria? My boy uses one...not because he isnt capable of holding a gun by himself..it allows him to have a steadier hand and weapon..therefore making a better shot. And he has a crossbow as well. He is 6.

Take a child out on a rabbit hunt with a stick and make em play the dog..see how long you keep that childs interest in doing that.

People wants to complain about the future of hunting disappearing due to lack of interest...etc. the way i see it is..if it is legal..and it gets a kid off their ass and in the woods..then congratulate..dont hate

6. model70

model70 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Reminds me of this I seen and saved.
    first deer.jpg

Buschwacker, Ataulbe1, hotdog and 3 others like this.
  8. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    That's really weird. How old was the kid? Maybe he was afraid of the recoil and the dad didn't want him to be gun shy? I was shooting .22s since I was six or so, but I can't remember how old I was taking the kick of a larger rifle. Probably about 9, 10, 11 or so (about the time I was shooting shotguns). But I'm guessing.

Not sure what my opinion is on this, but my first reaction is "whaaaaat"?

9. model70

model70 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    I think I was 10 when my dad let me start hunting. I begged him when I was 9, but he made me wait. I don't see anything wrong with waiting till a kid is older. Just seems like everyone wants to get their kid out hunting as early as possible. I think, my opinion, they need to be able to comprehend what their doing when they pull the trigger. My 2 cents

Munson, 120+ and drakeshooter like this.
  10. I remember shooting a single shot H&R .410 loaded with 3” high velocity shells that kicked like a mule when I was 9 years old. I’d never shot anything but a pellet gun or .22 before that and I didn’t hold the gun tight and got a pretty good kick and jaw thumping so I didn’t want to shoot it again and was crying. They would crucify him in today’s snowflake, pussycat world, but at the time my dad assured me of two things. One, if I held that gun good and tight against my shoulder it wouldn’t hurt and two, if I didn’t pick up that shotgun and shoot it again the ass whooping to follow would make that gun kick feel like one of mama’s kisses. I shot the gun again and of course after that when it didn’t hurt I was ready to shoot the box full.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    FOWLER2671 and Lady Hunter like this.
  11. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Never gonna get much more then about 40-50% to agree on this one. I understand both sides. I will say it is child dependent. Some kids can start earlier then others.

dirtstalker, Nock and drakeshooter like this.
  12. Not much more to say really.

Nock likes this.
  13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I learned my lesson shooting a 20 gauge with "double brass" (I guess at about that age). One good nose "bust" was all I needed to learn to shoulder it snug and tight.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Call it what you want but "keeping a child's interest" is the excuse everyone uses. There are other ways to get them interested in camping and hunting. Let them start with bb guns and tin cans. You can't tell me most kids don't like that. Let them play in the fire and check cameras with dad.
    Most of the people getting small kids out to shoot a deer is as much about the parents wanting to brag "my kid already shot a deer" as it is for the benefit of the kid. They don't appreciate shooting a large animal at that age.
    It's just human nature, people don't appreciate what they don't have to work for. Walking(or carrying) a kid to a blind, setting up a gun, then pointing out a deer is not really hunting.

Isn't it funny how the same people who talk about the "future of hunting and lack of interest" will be the same people next week complaining "there's too many hunters in the woods and not enough places to hunt". Kind of a contradiction huh.

300winmag, rabbit dawg, EC and 2 others like this.
  15. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Things like that is more for the Dad than the kid. He should have been letting him shoot paper squirrel targets or empty shotshells off a log.

EC and drakeshooter like this.