Kdfwr turkey survey link

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by WaterDog88, May 8, 2018.

1. WaterDog88

WaterDog88 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2008
    Kentucky
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2018
  2. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    Here are the 4 major questions they want input on. Please use the above link and give your information, it can only help.

29. Do you oppose or support changing the spring turkey regulations to end hunting hours at 1:00pm (local time) each day?
    30. Do you oppose or support reducing the spring turkey bag limit from 2 male/bearded birds to 1 male/bearded bird?
    31. Do you oppose or support changing the regulations to restrict harvest of jakes to youth hunters and apprentice hunters (those using a 1-year Temporary Hunter Education Exemption Permit)?
    32. Do you oppose or support reducing the fall turkey season bag limit from 4 turkeys to 2 turkeys?

3. HeadedWest

HeadedWest Spike

Nov 22, 2016
    Well, there goes the fall bag limit of 4.

Sounds like the buzz across the country is declining populations...It has to be something other than hunter harvest, right?

redjackson likes this.
  4. rockhousehunter

rockhousehunter 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    West Liberty, Ky
    I'm not sure, I wasn't aware of the turkey populations being down in surrounding states.

5. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
  6. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I'm game for whatever needs to be done to help populations.

Randy1974, Munson and rockhousehunter like this.
  7. NEVENUFFHP

NEVENUFFHP 6 pointer

Aug 9, 2002
    .Cecilia ky
    Guys,Make sure You fill out the Survey,

8. T-wil69

T-wil69 8 pointer

Jan 16, 2015
    Filled mine out strongly against the first two and strongly for the last two

9. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Strongly for all 4 here. The stopping hunting at 1pm I shoulda been against do to some people only getting to hunt afternoons. But it's too late to change my answer I guess.

rockhousehunter likes this.
  10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I filled out the survey.

Which I too strongly support the 1pm stop hunting restriction... from a hunting pressure perspective.

In turn... that’s what was in place when I started hunting years ago... and was the standard in most other states I hunted.

I didn’t mind it all ... we would hunt turkeys till 1pm... pick morels or fish in the afternoon.... still roost toms at sunset and make plans for the next mornings hunt.

Didn’t mind it all.

11. KYH5N1

KYH5N1 10 pointer

Thanks water dog for posting the link. I strongly urge everyone here to complete the survey. Make sure to fill out the opinion page at the end also. I think a 1p cutoff the first two weeks would be good. Allow all day the last week. I don't think the harvest of jakes would have that great of an impact on overall population, tho a "no bearded hen" would have been a good option. I'm for going back to a week day opener and only three weekends during season guidelines. I'm also for an opener on or later than 4/15. I was good with 2 fall birds also but I think fall hunting participation is so low that impact may be minimal. I'm also for a more liberal raccoon harvest and extended seasons on the masked egg sucking bastagedes. I also believe suplemental feeding of deer needs to be from 1 week before deer season until the close of deer season. I know a total ban won't happen. Hopefully this survey isn't just a "smoke screen " and the dept will actually do something before it's too late!

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I'm strongly against 1-3, and strongly for #4.

BucksnBeards3 likes this.
  13. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    How many birds are killed during the fall season?

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of Western KY
    I filled it out. I’m against all four. I want to see some scientific data that supports the decline in population and exactly where it’s coming from before I make a decision. Right now all of this talk is speculation.

It’s highly possible our turkey population has stabilized and a 25k spring kill is the new norm.

RackedUP, carnivore, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  15. mudhole crossing

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I've heard a lot of complaints on coon. And there's no doubt that they eat their share of eggs. But I'm sure they get the blame for every turkey nest breakup. And I don't believe that one minute. Anything that runs across a nest is gonna eat them be it coon, fox, possum, yote, crow, blue jay, skunk, or a dog. My dad has a lot of hen eggs. I'm thinking about making a make shift nest in the timber and put a cam on it. See what takes place. My 73 yr old father is a coon hunter, turkey hunter, deer hunter, and squirrel hunter. Coon and their hunters get a bad rap on here and it bothers me. Before turkey, deer, and elk, small game was THE sport in ky. Nowadays they are on the back burner.

hotdog and KY Swamp Beagler like this.