It's almost morel pickin' time!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Recurve77, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    The recent warm rains have gotten me curious enough to check the soil temps. I checked the soil temperature change for Warren county over this past week. All of these checks were made early between 6-8:00 am. On 2/9 it was 32.7, 2/12 was 35.4 and amazingly on 2/15 at 6:00 am the soil temps had risen to 54.0 following the warm rains. Guys, it won't be long now. I found my 1st black last year on 3/3 albeit really small. The current soil temps are currently ahead of last year at this time and I don't see any really cold snap forecasted for the next 15 days. I'm predicting that one of us on this board will be posting a find before 3/1 this year!

HeadedWest and Bee like this.
  2. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    I’m ready

3. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I'm ready as well but like every other year I'll make 4 or 5 fruitless trips in the woods looking for something that isn't there lol. Last week of March here if I'm lucky.

Did u buy a soil temp probe or use something else?

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Try an see if this link will work. They provide live data.
    http://www.kymesonet.org/soil.html

It appears that the link will come up blank and you will need to click on "soil temperature" and under "data" click on "soil". You also have the option to click on a county near you.

5. model70

model70 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2011
    Western Ky
    Chompin at the bit myself!

6. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    And I've always been curious about them, or they are slated to certain parts of the state or could I have a chance finding some North of Lexington

7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I would love to learn how to hunt them. I have went out and looked for them but really didn't know what I was doing. I believe if I ever found one then I would know what I was doing. I was like Seng. Looked for a long time. BUT when I found my first plant it got easier to find. Knew where to look then. Shrooms don't know where to look for them.

8. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I'm sure all the nice people on here could give us some advice

9. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Maybe. Around here where I live I don't know anybody that hunts them. Down at Ky Lake in April when I go down. There is always a group from Indiana that come down and all they do is hunt them on LBL. They come in with baskets full. Wanted to go with them sometime but knowing there is a paper mouth out there to catch. I go after them instead. LOL

10. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I hunt primarily in north central and central KY but I believe you will find morels in similar environments where I typically find most of mine. The blacks seem to prefer North and East facing hillsides consisting primarily of a poplar and hickory mix. I believe that is why they are sometimes referred to as hickory chickens. When I search an area for the 1st time especially if I'm not certain blacks grow in that specific area, I will start at the base of the hillside in the morning with the sun to my back and work my way slowly up the hill. The sun will allow you to pick out the blacks amongst or slightly under the leaf litter. The blacks will actually be tan in color when they 1st pop and then as they grow they will develop black on the ridges of the shroom. When you find the 1st one, stop, mark it, kneel down and search thoroughly 360 degrees. You will almost always find more than 1. The blacks will usually grow from 1/2-1 inch in size to 3-4 inches in a period of 7-14 days depending on the weather. The smaller yellow/grey/ white varieties will grow in similar areas but will pop a week or 2 after the blacks. As for the Big yellows (that will initially pop as a grey), creek bottoms are my favorite areas to search concentrating on searching around live sycamore, dead or dying elm and live ash. These big yellows can sometimes grow in size for 1-3 weeks, but by that 3rd week they will be the size of a coke can and starting to deteriorate. I have found a lot of my patches over the past 28 years while turkey hunting and some of those patches are still producing and some have petered out. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Mxcmxc, bondhu and beauhunter41031 like this.
  11. Munson

Munson 8 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Thanks for the link recurve but there wasn't any counties listed east of Clark :(

What he said above is about all the advice that can be given. Maybe pull up a pic and concentrate on the shape etc..
    *DO NOT EAT MORELS IF THEY AREN'T HOLLOW INSIDE*

Recurve77 and beauhunter41031 like this.
  12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Ok guys. I've shroomed east my for 30+ years. I've hunted blacks, whites, yellers, and greys and whatever other types are out there. I live in strip mine country. So, the last 4 years for me and my family has been amazing for shrooms around strip jobs. The key is young sycamore trees. That have produced loads of big shrooms. I mean it's been unbelievable!!! 99% of people are riding rt by them. Rt along the main strip rds. I know it seems far fetched but its unbelievable the shrooms we've found! Giants! I don't mean ever young sycamore will have one under it, but they have been the ticket for us in quantity and quality.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    THANKS I will try it again. See what I can do.

14. Luther's Feist

Luther's Feist 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2014
    Coeburn, Va
    I have been to places and found several some years and the next be nothing. You can also go to a spot several weeks in a row and then all at once seems they are everywhere. Most of the ones I find anymore are in ditch ines right along the road. If you can find an area that had a fire they also seem to come up better there. I don' k ow why but when they do controlled burns here I check those spots and do pretty good. I can' wait till they start popping up. If you do find some in a spot check it again the next year. I don' know about where yall are but here if another car drives by and sees where your parked they will beat you to it the next year. I keep my best spots to myself and will actually park a long ways from where I plan to look

15. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    25F8BF63-2331-47FF-BEA1-C80CF8961537.jpeg
    My daffodils are starting to bloom in Edmonson county.