Info on crossbows

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by Redfox55, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Redfox55

Redfox55 Fawn

Apr 2, 2017
    Georgetown Ky
    Am wanting to purchase my first cross bow and looking for help. I don't want to spend a lot in case it doesn't work out. Someone suggested a recurve and to get a cranking device for it. Am not sure that my old shoulders would hold out to use a rope puller. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 8 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I've got a Barnett quad 400 with a crank on it ,awkward as all get out ,but it's accurate.I just don't use it often ,but it works.

3. Outdoor_np

Outdoor_np Fawn

Nov 24, 2016
    South central Kentucky
    Father in law has an Excalibur ibex. It's a recurve. It's not the fastest but it's simple, accurate, reliable. No crank tho.

4. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
  5. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 6 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I wasn't sure about them either so went cheap. I just ended up with one of the Walmart Barnett Jackal packages. Shoots hard and fast and with a scope upgrade its spot on out to 60 yards. Its 150 pound pull and I just use the rope. Not difficult at all with the rope but I don't have any shoulder issues. I would suggest asking around to folks you know and shoot/try to pull one before ur purchase. Could save urself some money because the cranks are a bit more expensive than the rope.

6. inchr48

inchr48 10 pointer

May 14, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I went starter level with the Barnett Wildcat. Cabela's had a Fathers' Day sale a couple years back on them. Around $260 IIRC. Pretty accurate as far as I've shot it (40 yards). Rope cocker works for me, you can add a crank to it.