Inflatable PFD's

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by KYBOY, May 28, 2018.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    anyone use the inflatable life preservers? I'm thinking of going that route. I'm on the larger side and have always had trouble wearing regular life jackets because they never fit me right. Any opinions or advice? Thanks

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Yes!!! My work vest is a mustang. I have 2 inflatable pfds for my duck boat, the brand is Onyx. Kind of pricey in comparison to your run of the mill Walmart special pfd but worth every penny

KYBOY likes this.
  3. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    I use a Mustang when kayaking, I bought an automatic because I was approaching 60 at the time and I justified it in my mind and if I were going 70mph in a bassboat I'd have one. I’ve had to buy several charging kits due to silly mistakes by me, of which I get ragged frequently about, lol. I think mine is a model MT100 and the kit is $35 or so, I’ve seen some of the pro model kits go for twice that so something to keep in mind if you go the auto route. I like the inflatables, not all of my buddies do, I have to keep a spare regular pfd in the hatch of the Hobie for, well, see above. Honestly, some of the better fishing non-inflatables are pretty comfy.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    KYBOY likes this.
  4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I just got a killer deal on one and will be using it in my kayak and my buddies bass boat. He has a couple of cheap ones and keeps them stowed away so I’m bringing my own.

It says they are not for non swimmers. I guess that’s because it takes a little bit to inflate and for a few seconds you may not be protected. Also there’s the added cost to rearm them. But I say it’s better to have and use than one that’s setting at home.

Capttrae likes this.
  5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    When it comes to saving your life. Whats money??? I use Mustang.