I'm a rookie at hunting coyote's and I need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Steve Quesenberry, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Steve Quesenberry

Steve Quesenberry Fawn

Dec 26, 2017
    Nelson County
    I've been wanting to give coyote hunting a try for a while, back in the fall broke down and ordered Foxpro Inferno. Due to weather, the flu, and other situations I've only been out 2 times. I'm hunting on some farmland south of Hodgenville, Ky. As the Thread title implies I need help. If anyone who has had success hunting coyotes would show me some tips and tricks I would be VERY grateful. More than welcome to hunt on the land I mentioned in LaRue or if not too far away I'd gladly come to you. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. If I continue to struggle, might just go back to fishing. Thanks everybody!!!!

B.Miller and Gooch like this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 8 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Try pulling up your farm on Google earth that should give you an advantage and remember that wind direction plays a role, also the type,duration and volume of call you play makes a difference I always like the cottontail, I usually don't sit around too long if no Dogs show up within 30 minutes or so I move

3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Sit up like beahhunter said. Coyotes will always circle and come in down wind. Trying to smell. I don't hunt them. But like any animal they use their nose.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  4. linemansteve

linemansteve Fawn

Feb 22, 2011
    Do you have a small bottle of powder for wind direction. Do you have a decoy. A coyotes home range covers about five miles, on my farm when I hear them I know it will be three to four days before there back. Hold on— this time of year they are pairing up and generally running the rest of the pack off. So now your dealing with two coyotes,and generally one is always near the den while the hunts. The next tip is—you can’t kill them from the couch. Experience is the best teacher. How about the gun your shooting, is it sighted in ? Do you shoot it often? Can you hit a walking target at 100 yards?. Camo you your gun?. I’m not here to make you mad but to make you think :) I’ve been hunting them for around 15 years and am still learning. Sorry for long post Message me if you want more :). Steve

5. BODAB1

BODAB1 Spike

Apr 13, 2012
    First thing you should realize is that hunting in KY is not like what you see on TV when they are hunting out west. We have been hunting them for several years now. Our experience and that of several other hunters we know is that you may have 7-8 stands between actually seeing a coyote. You might then be successful on two or three in a row. Doesn't mean they aren't there, just means they either busted you or you just didn't see them. We have experimented with how long to stay on stand and the longest we have waited until seeing one was 30 minutes. More likely you will see one within the first 15 minutes. If you do hunt with a partner set him up where he can watch the downwind direction. When I first started I bought the DVD from this guy. http://www.predatoruniversity.com/predu/Welcome.html Lots of good tips and tactics. I will say this.....the coyote is without a doubt the hardest animal I have ever hunted. They can beat you with eyes, ears and nose. I have watched them circle to get down wind of the call and when they hit our scent cone almost do a double back flip to get away. Our approach is if you get a shot within your range, take it, do not wait for a better one. It may not come.

bondhu and Steve Quesenberry like this.
  6. B.Miller

B.Miller Fawn

Jan 11, 2018
    Paducah
    Wind is everything. Coyotes circle downwind when arroaching prey. U have to give the dog a place to approach. Don’t try to make a coyote do something they don’t do naturally. Sounds obvious I know. Setup is crucial. You can’t just set the caller in a field and think a coyote is going to run out into the open field. Weather is a big part too. Too windy? Stay home. After or before a weather system moves thru is always a better time.

7. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My vote is for just staying persistent.

Which I’ve been coyote hunting for 9 years now. I’ve been fortunate to kill several yotes in that span and absolutely love the sport itself.

But ... I took off work today to coyote hunt LBL... started at breaking light this morning .. till the sunset this afternoon. Made 9 different stands today covering many miles of LBL ..in spots I’ve had success in the past.

But... today was an absolute bust... every set was dry.

Which if you count today with my last two outings at our farm.... that’s about 15 stands of drought. No yotes called in period.... which nothing to explain other than it simply happens. Been through these droughts before... just as anyone that hunts yotes has.

So best advice to give a new yote hunter... heed what others have stated ..but just don’t get discouraged if things don’t happen quickly.

Simply stay at it... and at some point luck will smile on you.

8. B.Miller

B.Miller Fawn

Jan 11, 2018
    Paducah
    Good advise on staying persistent. It’s can be easy to get discouraged when u don’t call anything in after a long day. The excitement from a successful hunt makes it worth it. just being in the woods is enjoyable

I live close to LBL, (Paducah) and have never coyote hunted out there although I’ve wanted to. What parts do you hunt JD? If u want another gun out there sometime let me know.

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Today I started in area 3 (Lyon county) and finished in area 10 about 1/2 mile from the Tennessee line. So.... pretty much all over the Ky portion.. lol.

Which if your not familiar with LBL’s silly arsed rules... you can only hunt yotes when another hunting season is in.

This was my reason for taking off today .. as after Wednesday (28th) there won’t be any hunting seasons in at LBL. Which February is the only month they allow center fires.

It’s some screwed up regs.. but I like to hunt yotes there.

Which I’ll keep the offer for a second gun in mind .. don’t mind some company at all. Just might be fall before I hit it again when small game seasons come back in.

10. B.Miller

B.Miller Fawn

Jan 11, 2018
    Paducah
    Yeah Ive read up on some of the regulations and was aware of the February for centerfires. I got the permit but never made it up there this month because of work. Even scouted some spots in the northern end. I’m sure several people have called those areas now.

I always like to hunt with new people when I get the chance. Helps me to learn new stategies and techniques. I’ve had some success out in West Paducah. Going to try to make it to LBL next season too