I need some brain power

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Carl, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM.

1. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

30 years ago, I could have figured this out easily but my brain has many missing cells. I am trying to mount 2 -6 volt horns in series from an old dodge on my jeep. I used to mount them on Chevy trucks in parallel They were very loud that way but I don't want to burn the horns out. I figured wired in series would be easier on them. I think the horns would have to be isolated from the frame to do this which I can do this but my brain vapor locks when I try to figure the wiring out. Any other day this might be simple for me but today it looks like rocket science. If anyone that still has their brain cells could help, I would appreciate it. I am going to wire direct to the Battery with an inline 30 amp fuse and an extra button on the steering column. The photo was made in Paint.net. You can open it with this and wire it any way you want.
    Horns Blank.png

EdLongshanks likes this.
  2. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I just have this guy mounted on my hood for a horn. It's amazing how fast people get out of your way.

[​IMG]

3. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    If they ground on the frame you'd have a hard time hooking them in series. You would have to isolate one from the frame and feed the other one off the casing of the first. Even then you probably would have too much voltage drop. If they are fed with 2 wires then bat, button, to horn 1, horn 1 to horn 2, back to ground.
    In parallel you have no voltage drop. Both get 6v.

4. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

I intended to isolate both horns from the grounding frame
    I figured voltage drop would be good, 6 volt horns on a 12 volt battery.

5. bondhu

bondhu 10 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    Battery + (to) 30 amp fuse (to) + (horn jumped to) + horn
    Battery - (to) switch (to) - horn (jumped to) - horn

Carl likes this.
  6. baknblack

baknblack 8 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Oh 12v supply, then sure the voltage drop should make em last longer. If they have a +and - terminal easy peazy.

Carl likes this.