I may get my guides liscense.

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by LoweBow, Sep 29, 2003.

1. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    After cutting a deal w/ my wife to try to book a few nighttime guided bowfishing trips next summer I was able to purchase my new rig. I don't think I'll book many I'd say 5 trips for the summer would be enough for me. I can guarentee a great time to anyone that would think about it...
    Question......What would someone be willing to pay for a night out????....Say a 6-8 hour trip on the Ohio River or Ky River. Very Professional and gear could be supplied. 2 person maximum....How much per head???\
    Professional Rig.....
    [​IMG]
    Mike

2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Good looking rig!

3. Turtleky

Turtleky 10 pointer

Real nice looking boat. Sorry, but I know nothing about bow fishing or what it would be worth. Good luck on your entrepreneuing adventures though.

4. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

I have a friend who is a fishing guide in Minocqua, Wisconsin, which is close to where I grouse hunt each fall. Check out his web page. He seems to stay very busy, with plenty of repeat customers, at the rates quoted.

http://www.jimsnorthwoodsguideservice.com/

I would think the "uniqueness" of what you're offering, along with the limited dates, would justify similar rates, even in a more depressed market.

"It's time for the commissioners to value their relationship with the sportsmen, more than their relationship with the governor." Address of outgoing President, Rolly Beers, to the LKS convention, June 14, 2003

5. RDL270

RDL270 Cyber-Hunter

Apr 14, 2003
    Fern Creek KY
    It must get awfully hot bow fishing to have that big of fan.....;)

Good luck in your guide service, if I ever decided to take up a new hobby, I'd give you a call.
    R

6. greenskeeter

greenskeeter Cyber-Hunter

Nov 3, 2002
    Bardstown, KY, USA.
    Good one RDL!

I hope that big thing would not get kicked in reverse and suck in my line while I was trying to reel one back in! There would be little bitty greenskeeters everywhere...

All kidding aside, Good Luck!

7. newby

newby Fawn

Low, I would definetely be interested in something like that. I have never done it but would love to try. What type of fish do you hunt for? As far as price, I have no idea what you should charge. $50-$75 a head? I've never been on a "guided" trip before so I don't know what they cost.

Keep on keepin' on!

8. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Fish species would be open to all rough species that are in the rivers... Gar, Carp, Buffalo, Catfish, Drum, and best of all Bigheads. The bigheads are my favorite because they can get up to 60# and we commonly shoot 30# fish.
    Mike

9. flathead

flathead Fawn

Sep 14, 2003
    radcliff, ky.
    remember to check on a us coastguard captain's cert.also ins.i guide
    duck an goose hunt ark,la,and nc and have to carry all three.
    flathead
    remember saftey first!!!!

10. mike.one

mike.one 8 pointer

A good price is whatever the market will bear. Perhaps you should take a few well connected guinea pigs out at an introductory rate, and show them a great time. Write it off as a loss leader, and get some guys on the street spreading your name and singing your praises. They say that once you get 20 satisfied customers out there, you will have it made. That is no doubt an arbitrary number, but the principal is sound. Your business will accelerate as the word spreads. Calling your first few trips "introductory" allows you to get started and move the price later, without disappointing your first few customers, who pay more the second time around. Instead of feeling like you "raised" your price on them, they are just glad they got in early, at the introductory price. They'll focus on the bargain, and you'll get the best kind of advertising available: word-of-mouth endorsements from other bowhunters.

PS: As an attorney, I recommend you look into insulating yourself from personal liability by incorporating or forming an LLC. You may get a tax advantage by placing your rig (great looking rig, by the way) in your company name, and there are other advantages to consider. Good luck on your new venture, my friend!

"It isn't THAT you hunt, but how you hunt."

11. KyHorse

KyHorse BBBC Members

Jul 29, 2003
    Henderson, KY, USA.
    The guide license in KY is not that big of a deal, $125 and recommendation from your county CO pretty much takes care of that. If you are using navigatable water you will need coast guard certification to operate legally. The recommendation of insurance should be taken as well.

So when you start factoring in cost of the above and just what it takes for an outing, it may take more than 5 trips to break even. For 6-8 hours I'd say $75, maybe $100 a head. Start a website, post flyers at local shops, etc. and you'll get business. Be prepared to loan or rent equipment or maybe even sell arrows, reels, line, etc.

Those bigheads are awesome to shoot. About 3 weeks ago we were shooting several on the Ohio near Henderson that were going 40-50lbs.

12. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Thanks guys, I've been out of town a few day and I'm sorry I haven't replied. I will take all this to heart and have also thought about the LLC and insurance. I really do appreciate your thoughts.. I'll let you know what's happened.
    Thanks
    Mike

13. Multidigits

Multidigits BBBC Members

Dec 10, 2001
    Vine Grove, Ky, USA.
    Mike, check with the NRA for insurance. It's the best and cheapest I've found.

14. LoweBow

LoweBow 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2003
    Shelby Co.
    Thanks I will do just that..
    Mike

15. bearhoundsman

bearhoundsman 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2003
    jonesborough, tn, USA.
    i'd think on having clients sign a release form to be for sure you aren't held responsable for any accidents. all of our hunters sign one or keep they don't hunt.