I’ve probably done smarter things

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Capttrae, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    But this boat I’m on right now came off charter this afternoon so instead of sitting at the dock chipping and painting I decided to get up with some of my old fishin buddies down in PCB, shot one a text told him I was getting off early wondered about working deck some for a few days. He told me who to call, so I did, told him when I got off, asked if he needed a deckhand said he had trips Tuesday - Friday he needed a hand for. So for the first time in 8 years I’m going to work deck on a charter boat. I’m fixin to find out just how out of shape I am and prolly just how much I’ve missed it.

EC and Wampuscat like this.
  2. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 6 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    What kind of jobs are involved with working the deck?

3. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Taking care of the customers fishing needs, chopping bait, cleaning the boat then getting some serious tippage going on at the end of the day.
    It’s not easy work at all, most folks think oh yeah they get to go fishing every day. While that is true they don’t see the work that goes on behind the scene. Get to the boat about 4:30am get it ready, leave at 5:30 get back in at 5:30 by the time you get done cleaning up it’s 7:30

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  4. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Now tell the truth you just want to fill a freezer or two with some fine Red Snapper... :D. Hope you have a great time and don't have to work to hard.

5. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    I will not eat a red snapper, got burned out on them commercial fishing them. Snapper for breakfast, lunch supper plus snacks. This is strictly a money making deal. Would like to catch a couple wahoos though. It’s been many a year since I stuck the gaff in one of those. And I may steal a steak or two off one of them.

6. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    California ky
    Caught some wahoo my last trip out of ft lauderdale. Best sushi i have ever had and tasted great cooked as well.

7. zone1

zone1 6 pointer

Jan 3, 2011
    Capttrae: Question for you. How much should you tip the deckhand on a half-day trip?

8. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    15-20% of trip cost

deerturkey14 likes this.
  9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Sounds more like, "Oh yeah. I get to WATCH people go fishing every day while I do the grunt work."

LOL

Capttrae likes this.
  10. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That’s true, but we still get just as excited over a big copperbelly, Big hoo, or billfish. Plus when I was still fishing full time I was still young enough and looked even younger, I could flirt with the daughters as long as they were 18, then look at the ladies in the afternoons while they walked the docks waiting on supper at Captain Anderson’s

EC likes this.
  11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Soooo...the stories of "sea dogs" are true!! LOL

12. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Yes they are. Just something about a boat that gets them every time. That and they are hundreds of miles from home, their significant other. Talk nice to them all day, meet up with them after work go for a walk on the beach and let the gulf work her magic

bondhu and nock like this.
  13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county