Hunting vs Family

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Jan 13, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    ky
    How do you guys manage the balance of hunting and family? Mainly asking about when the kids are small.
    Obviously *someone* has to watch the kids. And with work and other peoples schedules sometimes the season seems to take a beating. What are some solutions and do/did you ever wave the white flag on getting out?

2. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I have had no problem with hunting. Fishing is totally different. I have a boat and only taken it out a dozen times in 3 years...none this year. Kids sports are relentless

rockhousehunter likes this.
  3. Tufrthnails

Tufrthnails 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2014
    Lakeland, FL
    Well one year I didn't hunt we were tight on money and with the munchkin that didn't get any easier. The next season came and I was kinda planning to do the same and not hunt, but my wife told me I am never going to live through a hunting season in the same house with you when you can't go hunting. She says I was the biggest A-hole that season watching my buddies from the sideline that she has made a lot of sacrifices over the years to make sure I get to exorcise my demons as she calls it. My current job allows me to hunt during the week sometimes its only a midday sit some days I get to sit money hours. I started bringing my son from time to time once he was out of diapers so that gave her a break when I was hunting private land. Now that he is 13 life is great I get to hunt when I want and he comes along from time to time, but I hunt swamps a lot here in FL so he's still kinda sketched out on my tougher hunts, but I do some easy stuff too cause i love having him along.

4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    My kids are all grown. Wife knows she won’t see me from Halloween thru thanksgiving. If friends/family schedule anything, she usually goes without me.

Genesis 27:3 likes this.
  5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    the wife and i don't hunt much ourselves right now. two teenagers. our hunting and our golfing has taken a backseat to the boys the past 10 yrs. before that, that is all we did. the way i see it is to make personal sacrifices or sacrifice the family, and option two is only for the deadbeat parents.

kyhunter99 and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  6. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    When Ever I met a woman and we started to see one another ( even in school) I made it clear I spend as much time with my grandfather hunting as I could some understood some didn’t , when I got married there was never a problem kids came no problem my son and daughter have been in the woods since they could walk ( early season) while it’s warm and as they aged I took them more and more

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Unless my daughter had a play/game/event of some kind, or she asked me to do something special with her, Saturday was my day to hunt/fish/golf/whatever.

8. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    With the better half back in school it has been a little more difficult this year. Planning is your friend. I try to look at a month and base my days on stand or on the water on what works for us as a family. I try to make my days worth it sometimes being on the water all day, on stand all day, or doing a combo of both with the knowledge ahead of time I will be gone from before daylight til a little after dark. It has worked thus far though my time has been more limited. Enjoy the time you do have and let it be more about the hunt/fishing than the kill/catch. I don’t kill Boone and crocket deer or catch trophies every time out but I enjoy myself and I eat venison and fresh fish every year.

hunt and preachnhunt like this.
  9. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    GOD, FAMILY then everything else in that order any deviation and you are fooling yourself..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. ky.longbeard

ky.longbeard 10 pointer

May 15, 2010
    Stay married 47 years and their glad to see you go hunting !!

gung, TripleGee, Capttrae and 5 others like this.
  11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Different story when you are younger though go too much and you will find yourself single again..lol

12. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    You say that as if that would be a bad thing

hunt likes this.
  13. wprebeck

wprebeck 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    My wife makes sure I have the weekends for hunting whenever I want. She understands that being out of the city and away from people is the only way I can recharge my batteries after the tsunami of stupid that occurs during my work week.

I got a good wife.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Buying a house with hunting behind the house keeps me married. My first attempt at having a family was a failure and i wont let it happen again.

TripleGee, mac0492 and ojibwa62 like this.
  15. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    N/A
    Funny how we have to fail sometimes to figure it out.. My first marriage failed for many reasons, reasons I won't get into. I do think the number one reason my first marriage failed above all else is there was no God in our lives.. I believe that is reason many marriages fail..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019