Hunting season closed indefinitely

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Rob Rock, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Rob Rock

Rob Rock Fawn

Jan 28, 2018
    Cheswinster, Ky.
    If you have not yet made the journey to hunt the Leaf River or George River caribou herds of Northern Quebec, the opportunity may not ever come again.

Dateline December 14, 2017
    "Starting the first of next year, the sport hunting of migratory caribou will be indefinitely suspended in Quebec and Labrador. This measure was announced by Quebec’s minister of forests, who cited “sustainability of the species” as the reason for the hunt closure."
    obsured faceHPIM0531.jpg

Rob Rock & Hunting Partner above the tree line in Quebec, South of the Arctic Circle in 2006.

A search of recent news articles will tell the story and likely predict the future of caribou hunting within these once great herds. Hint: Pressure from 'sport hunting' has little or anything to do with populations of caribou in these herds. Indigenous hunting by the Inuit will likely remain unaffected and the net long term effect of sustenance hunting has little to do with the decline of these herds according to most published research.

This same fate could easily befall Kentucky Elk hunting as we know it. In fact, it already has according to some of the reports I'm getting from Knott County.

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    That’s a bucket list hunt for me. Not necessarily the Quebec / Labrador sub species but any of them

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Wolves probably kill more than hunters

barney and nock like this.
  4. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    At least I have the memories from one of the best hunting trips I ever treated my self to. I was hopping to have the oportunity to do it again some day but now that day may never come. Enjoyed the fishing almost as much as the hunt its self. 4FB8F922-A2E5-48A3-8941-616A8D074EC5.jpeg

5. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    There has to be somthing a lot bigger than hunting that has caused the 90% decrease in the herd over 20 years. They better figure it out fast or the Leaf River caribou may go the way of the dodo bird.

6. nock

nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    This^^^^^. Enough said.

barney likes this.
  7. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Steve rinella has a pod cast about this I believe. I’ll try and find it.

8. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Please do. I'd like to hear it.

9. JR PORTER

JR PORTER 6 pointer

May 1, 2014
    KNOTT CO. KY
    10 years ago where I live in Knott Co, Elk were everywhere, for the past 3 or 4 years they have been at a steady decline! Last year there was a small herd of about 8 or 9 just over the gap before hunting season. Since then I have hardly seen a track. Coyotes were everywhere, but since blue tongue, I haven't seen that many. I've seen an increase in bears, but I don't see them being a part of the problem. And as far as poaching, someone killed one 2 years ago but that's all I've seen or heard of.

10. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 10 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

Faces only a mother could love.;):D:p

11. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    I know they took a large number of them from Knott county several years ago to take them to another state.