Hunting room ideas?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by RKF11, Aug 7, 2018.

1. RKF11

RKF11 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2010
    Southeastern KY
    Ive got a room off my garage that’s bout 8x12 with 10ft ceilings. I’m wanting to make it basically my hunting room, bow shop, gun shop etc lol.
    I’m looking for cost saving ideas to finish it in. I’m wanting wood ofcourse and maybe some tin....I’m not really even sure what I want lol.
    I’ve done a few pallet walls in our kids bedrooms and they look great and are cheap but I like the thought of cedar for the smell
    Y’all got any ideas, or pics maybe of some rooms you’ve done. I’d like to try to keep the budget as low as possible
    Thanks

2. bah1286

bah1286 6 pointer

Jul 29, 2014
    I think old barnwood looks best. I live in a log home and we have pine everywhere but did my oldest sons room like an old cabin and it has barnwood from an old building on our farm. Looks great. Found some old tin signs and some animal hides and it adds a lot.

RKF11 likes this.
  3. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    If cedar is what you want and you have woods you could look for the dead but standing trees or the ones the snow brought down at the roots and killed. These trees are for the better parts cured. Find a local or a portable mill and have them sawed into planks. Cant think of a more economical way to give you that cedar smell and a great looking rustic wall.

RKF11 likes this.
  4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Buying cedar from a lumber yard ain’t cheap

RKF11 and elkaholic like this.
  5. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Having it sawed is a whole lot cheaper than buying it.

RKF11 likes this.
  6. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Be single and just use the whole house

7. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 8 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    We finished the inside of my brothers garage in rough sawn lumber and I think it looks great. We let the wood sit out in the sun for a couple weeks so some of it started to turn different shades of grays and browns. Cheap and easy to fool with. Varied plank widths also add a rustic cabin kinda feel.

RKF11 likes this.
  8. Meatstick

Meatstick 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Just got done with this basement project at the new place. Old barn wood that we've had sitting for probably 20 years. Looks pretty good. It's usually pretty easy to find also IMG_20180808_091039.jpg

9. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    Barn wood is easy to find, but I wouldn't say its cheap. Since its become a TV fad, its 1-4 bucks a linear foot depending on the width. If you have access to a building that contains it, its a great idea.

elkaholic and RKF11 like this.
  10. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Meatstick that looks good, but you need a couple more bows. You have 2 empty hooks.

cedar ridge and Meatstick like this.
  11. Chilly

Chilly 10 pointer

I used band sawed poplar in my game room with tin on the ceiling and trimmed it all in cedar. We used old barn lumber and old tin to remodel the whole basement which was finished already.. Once we got the basement finished, my wife stole some mounts out of my game room and added them to the basement. I did not hesitate to agree with her. BTW, that is her elk from 2016. There used to be a man cave thread on this forum but I cannot seem to find it.
    GR1.JPG B1.jpg

RKF11, BubEastKY, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  12. BubEastKY

BubEastKY 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2016
    I’d have to agree with everyone else on the barnwood but if you don’t have it already then it’s definitely not cheap. Rough lumber is a good and cheaper choice to. Nice man caves guys! I’m trying to convince my wife and kids that it would be better if the whole house was a man cave! :D

13. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Old barns get pushed over and set fire to every day. drive down the road and find one that has a bad lean to it and the owner will likely give you all the wood you want off of it.

BubEastKY and Chilly like this.